GH and KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larochem595

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have a question.
What GH and KH values should I be aiming for in a tropical community tank?
What about a livebreeder tank?
I understand what GH and KH are. I am just wondering what values I want in my tank (preferably in dH rather than ppm.)

Thanks!
Michelle

For livebearers? Try to keep both above 4 and below about 30. They will do fine in both soft water and semi-brackish water. In the case of mollies, you can even keep them in brackish without much of a problem.

The GH and KH of your tapwater, unless there's a big unusual problem!!

Seriously.

Why do you ask? What's the situation and what did you intend to do, to alter the levels?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The GH and KH of your tapwater, unless there's a big unusual problem!!

Seriously.

Why do you ask? What's the situation and what did you intend to do, to alter the levels?

Here's my situation:
This is the first tank I've ever personally had.

Originally, I started out using my own well water. My GH was on the high side (I forget how high, but it was rather high.) So, I opted to get platies. Then I realized that the nitrate levels in my tank were very high. Someone here suggested I check out the levels on nitrates in my tap water. I realized we had a serious issue with our well water--we have crazy high levels of nitrates in our water. So, I had to change water source...

I started using a family member's water in my tank. The only problem is that they have a filter connected to their house and the KH/GH are on the low side.

I couldn't find a source that would tell me what GH/KH levels I should be aiming with my platies.

Thanks,
Michelle

I replied more at length on your other thread but ...

If you did not supplement your mix of "my water and their water" what would the GH and KH be?

I replied more at length on your other thread but ...

If you did not supplement your mix of "my water and their water" what would the GH and KH be?

Hello,

Just to clarify, I am only using "their" water source, none of my own. I measured GH/KH/pH of my water source today. My GH was 4 and KH was 3 before I did anything to it; the pH was somewhere around 6.8 to 6.6 (hard to tell which color better matched up.)

My little story there was just attempting to explain why I am attempting to alter my GH/KH. Had I known all this, I would've just gotten different fish. you live, you learn...

Thanks for the help,
Michelle

I'd just leave the water untreated. It sounds like it's pretty perfect. The Platies don't need an ideal number as badly as they need stability.

If you add anything at all Id suggest Seaxhem Equilibrium And API cichlid buffer, put 1/4 tsp of each in a cup of water and just add 1/4 cup of the solution to 4-5 gallons of tap water. That will get you to 4-5 KH and GH which is plenty. Equilibrium is economical micronutrients, I think you mentioned plants.

If you feel you must get it higher add 1/4 tsp each to 4-5 gallons of tap water and it'll add 3-4 degrees hardness of each. This will likely also bring pH up which could lead to more instability.

I kept trying to chase higher numbers and kept having issues, till someone here who lives nearby told me to shoot for 3-4 GH and KH. All has been well ever since.

I'd just leave the water untreated. It sounds like it's pretty perfect. The Platies don't need an ideal number as badly as they need stability.

If you add anything at all Id suggest Seaxhem Equilibrium And API cichlid buffer, put 1/4 tsp of each in a cup of water and just add 1/4 cup of the solution to 4-5 gallons of tap water. That will get you to 4-5 KH and GH which is plenty. Equilibrium is economical micronutrients, I think you mentioned plants.

If you feel you must get it higher add 1/4 tsp each to 4-5 gallons of tap water and it'll add 3-4 degrees hardness of each. This will likely also bring pH up which could lead to more instability.

I kept trying to chase higher numbers and kept having issues, till someone here who lives nearby told me to shoot for 3-4 GH and KH. All has been well ever since.

That helps, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom