Ghost shrimp shredding betta fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
We got 5 ghost shrimp yesterday and this morning I noticed a significant tear in my bettas fins. Could it have been the shrimp? There is nothing sharp in the tank so I am not sure what else could have caused it. Thanks.

Ghost shrimp are little devils in disguise. They will catch and consume small fish so it's quite possible they're terrorizing your betta.

Wow and I was worried about my betta terrorizing them. Will have to watch them closely to see if I can find out if it is them. Little boogers! Thank you.

Don't forget that now it's 5 against 1, too. Just sit back and observe the tank to see what's really happening.

What size tank is this?

It's a 10 gallon and I just recently added a few larger leaf plants towards the top so the betta doesn't have a need to be on their level much. Surprisingly he hang out alot at all levels.

You said it LyndaB! And be aware, ghosties are acutually great swimmers! Mine will swim to the surface and compete for food with my 13 zebra danio. They're pretty fearless when hungry and hold their own against the swarm of feeding danios!

Never tried ghosts with a betta, but I did once have a 5 gallon with a betta and 5 to 7 amono shrimp. The betta kept them hiding all day long. If he got eye sight of one, a chase was instantly started.

However, I also found my boy was getting fin tears, even before the shrimp. No sharp edges I could find. I finally decided that the only thing that made any sense was that he must have occasionally gotten his tail too close to the filter intake and his fins must have suddenly covered most of the intake greatly increasing the speed of the water flow, and perhaps suctioning him to the filter for a moment before he could force his way away tearing his fin. I never saw this happen, and every time there was a new tear, it was spotted the next morning when I would come into work (he was in a 5 gallon bow front corner tank in my cube at work).

Back
Top Bottom