Gibbicep pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
My lfs sells two gibbicep pleco. Unfortunately, I cannot find any info about them. Do they grow large, or are they dwarf plecos? Will they each algea?

I just happen to have one of these beautiful fish newhobbist. From what I've read, they can get over 18". Of course, this depends on a lot of factors regarding their environment. They are certainly not "dward" in any way. They will gnaw at algae, but they will not make it their daily diet. You can supplement it with algae wafers, lettuce and their all time favorite! Zucchini:'

The little one is an abino bristlenose, a dwarf variety.
zuchini1.jpg

LOL...I know it appears that way but they are just in close proximity and sharing the zucchini.

Here is another pic prior to the unexpected arrival of the albino:
zuchini001.jpg

I also own a Gibbicep pleco and they are truely beautiful pleco's. They can get rather large so should be in a 55+ tank, but take a while to get big. I've had mine for about 8 months now and he's only grown maybe an inch and a half. Then again, I got him as a baby.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and he hasn't grown all that much, but he really does the job for algae. I keep him in a 55 gallon but plan to upgrade eventually to at least a 75 gallon. I'll probably go larger though, IMO a 75 gallon would be the minimum for a grown gibbiceps. If you're looking for one for the 72 gallon in your sig, you could probably keep it if you step up your filtration- these guys are messy! :D

Back
Top Bottom