Glass catfish and gold fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mysticalkitten

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had these two glasscat fish in a 15 gal. Tank for almost a year now I had them when they were super small and they have grown. They live with five neon tetras two Molly's and three frogs. I have a 55 gal tank with only three fancy tail gold fish and plants and rocks. Can there catfish go in with them. They all eat flake food and frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

I've had these two glasscat fish in a 15 gal. Tank for almost a year now I had them when they were super small and they have grown. They live with five neon tetras two Molly's and three frogs. I have a 55 gal tank with only three fancy tail gold fish and plants and rocks. Can there catfish go in with them. They all eat flake food and frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

Hello Mys...

You shouldn't mix tropical fish with Goldfish. Goldfish aren't tropical fish. Goldfish like much cooler water around 65-68 degrees. Tropical fish need much warmer water about 75-80 degrees.

I keep Comets, smaller Goldfish and have them in their own tank. One that's unheated to keep the temperature about 68 degrees. I have my tropical fish in a tank with heaters to keep their water around 75.

B

You can always try it. By setting the temp they can both live in. Gold fish can live in 70-72 degree too. Think if you set temp around in that range they will all be fine. Just watch them to make sure things will work. Its not really recommended for goldfish to be in warmer water But they are a hardy fish that will adapt to alot of different waters. My neighbor has a few fancy's in her pond (in Michigan) it gets pretty warm in the summer, and cold in the winter. The water gets warm like bath water. Then cools down alittle at night in summer. Well, you get my point. Anyways, I'd try it, if you want to. Just go slow with the catfish. No stress. good luck!

I have a thermometer in the goldfish tank it reads at 75 and drops a little bit at night if it's cold in the house. I don't have a heater at all on them. My water had a ways been that with the gold fish and just to make sure I had a nother thermometer on the middle lower down still the same reading. My tropical tank is at 78.

Lol! I think you'll be fine on temp Then. Just watch and make sure they all get along. Gold fish nip sometimes and I don't know much on glass catfish, but them being more of a bottom tank type of fish. I'd try it. Think all would be fine. Imo.

Depending on the size of the goldfish and the glass cats the cats may become lunch for the goldfish. I am not a goldfish person so I may be wrong on that I am just thinking of the adult size of 10-12 inches

Fancy tail gold fish are not too big there's one that's small and the rest are medium-sized. The glass cats are as big as my black and white mollies and the mollies are full grown. I guess I might just have to rehome with a friend I know she has a big tropical tank or maybe it's a good excuse to up grade to a biger tank. I think my family will kill me thoe lol..I've been bitten by the fish bug I already have three lol..

Fancy tail gold fish are not too big there's one that's small and the rest are medium-sized. The glass cats are as big as my black and white mollies and the mollies are full grown. I guess I might just have to rehome with a friend I know she has a big tropical tank or maybe it's a good excuse to up grade to a biger tank. I think my family will kill me thoe lol..I've been bitten by the fish bug I already have three lol..
I know that bug has been flying around here too! Alot! Lol! Thought of putting a crack in my tank just to be able to get a bigger one. Lol! [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom