Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Globe Tank for a friend-Filtration, Heating, and Lights

I have a globe tank that a friend wants me to set up in their home. It's between 10-15 gallons and they want to just keep tetras and stuff in it. However, they want it to look clean and stylish and not a jumble of filtration and cords. They also want it relatively cheap.
At the moment, I have really just the tank itself, with no lighting or filtration, and I have a couple of spare heaters. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on lighting for it, or filtration that would look clean/hidden and be fairly effective? Canister or maybe like an undergravel filtration? I'm also struggling to find ideas on a lid and light without it looking tacky.
Will post pictures of the tank soon. I'd love to hear ideas and input on the set up for this tank!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you go with ugf, you could run a center column or some kind of wall/divider which can either be flat or curved and run all of your cords through there. Hiding all of the filtration/heating within a column or behind a wall should keep it looking clean.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the center column or the wall/divider? Can you explain further? Sounds like a good idea though!
Old 06-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

For example, you could house a ugf in a bigger, say 3-4 inch pvc pipe and that would make a cylinder with enough room to house a heater as well. With a pipe that diameter you could also do diy filtration with a pump which pumps water out of the top and some slits on the side, near the bottom and stuffed with media.

Or if you have plastic sheets or can find them you could do a similar idea but with rectangular prism.

You could also use abs pipe if they want black instead of white, or if they want a different color completely you could look into an aquarium safe paint.

Tags
eat, eating, filtration, heat, heating, light, lights, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com