Going from a 29G to 75G, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabessdsp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So right now I have a 29G tropical tank, and due to the massive breeding abilities of the guppies and my want for some more variety of fish I am expanding to a 75G tank.

I don't want to be restricted by money here, even though I really am, but what things do I really need for a 75G tank? I have heard that when you go that big you should have 2 heaters, one to each side, possibly two filters and different types of air stuff.

So I want to know, what will I need to run my 75G tank AND to transfer all of my fish from the 29G to the 75G safely with minimal losses?

I'd recommend a canister filter. I'm running a single Fluval 406 on my 75g and I love it. I am running a Hydor 300watt inline heater on the same tank. No problems keeping temps stable in my basement (temps swing a lot). Lighting is cheap, I use 4' 2 bulb T8 shop lights that I got a Lowes or Homedepot. They were less than $8 with tax. You will need two bulbs to go with it though.

Substrate, I used Quikrete's Premium Playsand $4/50lbs... I used 100lbs in my 75g and I could probably use another 25lbs or so.

I'd recommend a canister filter. I'm running a single Fluval 406 on my 75g and I love it. I am running a Hydor 300watt inline heater on the same tank. No problems keeping temps stable in my basement (temps swing a lot). Lighting is cheap, I use 4' 2 bulb T8 shop lights that I got a Lowes or Homedepot. They were less than $8 with tax. You will need two bulbs to go with it though.

Substrate, I used Quikrete's Premium Playsand $4/50lbs... I used 100lbs in my 75g and I could probably use another 25lbs or so.

Thank you for that. Quick question about the substrate, is one kind better than another? I've never used anything other than gravel, are there any benefits to using sand over gravel, or even possibly using a mix? I also would wonder does sand require more upkeep of any kind? And would sand cause any sort of harm to my "sucker fish"?

gabessdsp said:
Thank you for that. Quick question about the substrate, is one kind better than another? I've never used anything other than gravel, are there any benefits to using sand over gravel, or even possibly using a mix? I also would wonder does sand require more upkeep of any kind? And would sand cause any sort of harm to my "sucker fish"?

I would also recommend sand for substrate. My sucker fish love it because it's not as rough as traditional gravel. I don't know if there is a difference on which is better besides price and color. I use plays and in one tank and black diamond sand blasting sand in two others. I absolutely love the look of it. It looks more natural. Also the upkeep is simple. The mess stays on top of the sand rather than falling between the gravel. Making maintenance a lot easier. Best of luck.

As far as substrate, I find sand the easiest to keep clean. Rather than gravel vacuuming down into the substrate.. with sand you simply wave it above the surface and all the junk gets sucked up and the sand stays down. It is easier to keep clean than gravel. As far as mixing gravel and sand, the gravel will end up on top. The smaller grained sand will settle to the bottom and the larger gravel will stay on top.

I have many bottom dwellers in sand right now and I've kept a few "sucker" type fish in the past and had no problems. I've kept everything from plecos, otos, cories, to loaches.

As far as the inline heater, you hook it up inline with your output of the filter. Basically you cut your output tube from your canister and put the heater in between the filter and the output (waterfall). It is technically outside of the water, the water passes through the heater.

Here's a picture that will help you visualize what I'm talking about:
hydor-inline-heater-stat.jpg

As far as substrate, I find sand the easiest to keep clean. Rather than gravel vacuuming down into the substrate.. with sand you simply wave it above the surface and all the junk gets sucked up and the sand stays down. It is easier to keep clean than gravel. As far as mixing gravel and sand, the gravel will end up on top. The smaller grained sand will settle to the bottom and the larger gravel will stay on top.

I have many bottom dwellers in sand right now and I've kept a few "sucker" type fish in the past and had no problems. I've kept everything from plecos, otos, cories, to loaches.

As far as the inline heater, you hook it up inline with your output of the filter. Basically you cut your output tube from your canister and put the heater in between the filter and the output (waterfall). It is technically outside of the water, the water passes through the heater.

Here's a picture that will help you visualize what I'm talking about:

Ahhhh I see, I think. So if I go with the Fluval 406 canister filter is that outside of the tank then? I've never had any sort of experience with canister filters, the filters I have always used mount over the side into the tank and don't even need tubing. So if the Fluval 406 is outside tha tank then this is what i would have to do, right?

I setup my tank on a stand/table. Then the Fluval has some type of filtration that "sucks" the grime and other items from the bottom-ish area of the tank. This water is taken out, put through the filter, then it leaves the filter, on it's way back to the tank it encounters the heater, gets heated up, then is put back in the tank from the topside as to create a small current?

So since my last post I have learned a few things, yes the Fluval is external, and it's more complicated than I expected, but still very easy to get going and I'm want to use it, it's quiet and reliable. But I've also learned there are 3 "baskets" of filtering? The lowest basket should take out most organic stuff, the mid basket take out other things...and then the highest basket for chemical filtering. What are your suggestions to have in each basket and could you provide me with links to these items please?

I used the included filter media except for the activated carbon. I run all my tanks without it. I used the large sponge/foam that catches most large pieces. I used the Biomax, water polishing pad, and the bio-foam. In place of the carbon, I run polyfill stuffed into the basket.

Here are links to Hagen's website in regards to the media.
http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-Inserts/External

i just did an upgrade myself went from a 29 to a 75 gal but i am using 2 canister filters by marineland the 350 pros i have the same inline heater on 1 then on the next i have a uv light.... It sounds harder then what it is go online to you tube and you can find people installing them step by step as for what mix to use thats all up to you im using a mixture of carbon and ammonia neutralizing crystals but when it comes time to clean it im going to change it up maybe micron filters

I used the included filter media except for the activated carbon. I run all my tanks without it. I used the large sponge/foam that catches most large pieces. I used the Biomax, water polishing pad, and the bio-foam. In place of the carbon, I run polyfill stuffed into the basket.

Here are links to Hagen's website in regards to the media.
http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Media-Inserts/External

Thank you, I would prefer not to use the carbon as well, as it does good things but it also does some things I don't like. I looked around on that page and I only couldn't find the polyfill. Where would that be?

I also cannot seem to find any of these online. Fluval Polishing Pad for 304/305/306 and 404/405/406, 6 pieces

It seems my other post didn't post. I am having trouble finding the polyfill as I do not like to use carbon either.

try dcfosterandsmith petco petsmart and so on you should be able to find them there but bargin shop

Okay I found everything except for polyfill. I can't even find it using google? Is that a slang term?

Poly fill is somewhat of a slang term short for polyester filling. You can actually but it at craft shops. It's pretty much the same stuff as filter floss.

Poly fill is somewhat of a slang term short for polyester filling. You can actually but it at craft shops. It's pretty much the same stuff as filter floss.

That's interesting...what does it do in terms of the filter? anything?

Polyfil acts as additional, inexpensive mechanical filtration. Chemical filtration like carbon and the like tend to wear off and need replacing constantly and don't really do much for you other than removing medications and/or tannins (if you don't want them). The extra mechanical filtration is generally more filtration for your buck and no need for the regular replacements.

Ahhh thanks for that. So now for the other half of my post that seems to of been ignored. What are some of the precautions I should take to keep a steady and safe transfer from tank to tank with the fish?

Transfer your old filter to the new tank and run it alongside the new filter for a couple weeks to allow the new filter to get seeded and you should be good :) Not really any more prep time needed unless you're using live plants and want to give them a week or so to get rooted before moving the fish in with them.

Back
Top Bottom