Gold fish rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campbell_Betta_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! So each time I got to the pet store I always feel bad for those poor feeder fish so I am going to rescue one! I am buying a 2 gallon tank with gravel and everything else you need but because it is a feeder fish is there any thing I should buy to make sure it lives?

Feeder comet goldfish?

Remember that it's natural and healthy for big fish to eat smaller fish.

Comet goldfish get very big very fast. They do better in ponds than tanks.

For a 2 gallon, consider some shrimp or snails. Very fun to watch.

To paraphrase a semi-relevant movie, "you're gonna need a bigger tank (and filter!)"

Average size of an adult "feeder" (common/comet) goldfish is 12-14 inches (and they can get bigger!). Probably too big to even physically fit in a 2 gallon tank! And they are active fish! As stated above, they're best kept in ponds. A tank for them that is the appropriate size would be more on the order of 200 gallons than 2 gallons. Shrimp, snails and betta fish are good options for a 2 gallon tank. If you want to rescue a goldfish, fancy goldfish tend not to end up much better off than their feeder bretheren, and stay somewhat smaller and can be kept in tanks as small as 20 gallons :) Hope this helps!

Thanks! Because I have a pond when they got bigger I was planning on putting them into the pond

Thanks! Because I have a pond when they got bigger I was planning on putting them into the pond

Even so, you'll need a bigger in-between than a 2 gallon. Goldfish have a high waste output due to the nature of their digestive tract and fairly high oxygen requirements due to being adapted to cooler water. A 2 gallon won't provide enough space for even a very small feeder. You'd be better off just going straight to the pond.

I'm going to be blunt, if you buy them to rescue they just buy more because you're feeding the demand. If you want goldfish for your pond by all means do, but see if you can rescue some off of craigslist or from someone who really needs to rehome their goldfish instead of putting money towards them buying more feeder

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom