Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Goldfish?!

I am starting this thread to get a little more information on my favorite kind of fish... goldfish (: I have a 10 gallon tank for now ( I know its a tad small but it will have to do for a little.) I have a 40 gallon but dont have the extra money for a filter atm.
I just want to know what kind of things to expect maybe some problems you ran into and also what other kinds of animals could I put in there EX: a snail maybe?
I am on my first week of Fishless cycling so im taking this time to learn a few things. I am really interested in the telescope and oranda breed of goldfishI never really had any kind of fish at all and just recenty got 2 telescope goldfish and they died because the people at the pet store did not tell me to cycle Im hopeing this time around that they will live for more than 2 weeks

Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would just wait and put them in the 40 once you have the supplies. For goldfish a good rule is 20 gallons for the first and 10 for each additional goldfish. So three of them would fit in a 40. They are really messy fish so a ten probably wouldn't house them for more then just a QT tank. So like I said I would just wait and get the stuff. You could continue cycling the 10 gallon and once you get your things for the 40 just put the filter media into the other filter to almost instantly cycle it. Sorry for the chapter book.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had goldfish for a few months now and took the LFS "advice" and bought more than I should have. For a 10 gallon you shouldn't have more than one goldfish and it should be a small, probably the smallest they can come. Since you're planning on expanding to a 40 gallon the recommended amount of fancy goldfish would be 2 or 3. A general rule is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional. You've probably read that Comets, Shubunkins, and Commons get too big for indoor aquariums and although you can keep them, eventually it will be best that they be moved to larger real estate like a pond. I've only had experience with Fantails, Moors, and Comets but I would expect Telescopes and Orandas to be fairly similar. I know that Orandas may be their "Hair" trimmed but it should only be done by someone trained/with experience because it can be dangerous to the fish if performed wrong. You'll want to filter 10x per gallon of your aquarium size for optimum filtration and weekly water changes will need to be done as well. That's not difficult for a 10 gallon tank but for a 40 gallon I would probably recommend two Aquaclear 50 HOB filters. That's what I've got for my 29 and they work very well.

The only problem right now besides being overstock is I'm treating for Ick, probably the last Moor I brought home carried it in. So I'm treating with 1 tsp of freshwater aquarium salt per gallon and raised the temperature to 86 degrees. After two weeks of this and ~50% water changes every couple of days the fish should be good and the tank should be good.

Some common tank mates for goldfish are snails, as long as they can't fit inside the goldfish's mouth, weather/dojo loaches, and white cloud mountain minnows. Those are the most common that I've come across in my reading.

I hope this helps and I'm sure someone who's kept goldfish much longer than I will chime in. And Cheers to a fishless cycle!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a forty gallon I'd say around two or three goldfish, and you could try building a coldwater community around that and making the goldfish your centerpiece fish. Just what I would do but hey, all up to you.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In a 40, you could have a school of around 8 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 2 Fancy Goldfish, 1 Bristlenose Plecostomus and 1 Apple Snail/2 Nerite Snails. You would need filtration for around 10x the size of the tank so filtration for a 400 gallon. I know that's a lot but goldfish are so messy! Also add the White Clouds before the Goldfish, and get the smallest goldfish you can as this will reduce the chance of them eating the Minnows. You may want to buy a thermostat to keep the temperature at a constant level. I'm not sure what would be the best temp but bristlenoses like it warmer than the rest so you will have to compromise hope i helped
Old 10-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

There would be no way I could afford a 400 gallon filter. that would be 4 aquaclear 110 gallon filters which is around $400 total. I would love to have a 40 gallon but if thats what it takes to run it there is no way i could afford to keep up with it
Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina717
There would be no way I could afford a 400 gallon filter. that would be 4 aquaclear 110 gallon filters which is around $400 total. I would love to have a 40 gallon but if thats what it takes to run it there is no way i could afford to keep up with it
It's not a 400 gallon filter, it's enough filtration that filters the water 10x per hour.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
It's not a 400 gallon filter, it's enough filtration that filters the water 10x per hour.
Ohh ok now that makes more sence haha
Old 10-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Two aqua clear 50's would do you. I have common, ranchu, oranda and a black moor goldfish in two tanks right now and soon will be getting a new-to-me 125 for everyone. As everyone has suggested 1 number of gallon per hour helps keep the water parameters in range. Many people with goldfish, including me, do 50% partial water change each week to keep the nitrates down. I've been slowly adding plants which has been helping the nitrates. About the only thing to watch for with goldfish is that the telescopes are delicate. One must make sure there are no sharp edges, etc. in the tank. Also the telescopes vision is not as good as the other so food is best dropped right on top of the telescopes--away from the eager others.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
Yes, i apologise. This is what i meant. Sorry :3

Tags
goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com