goldfish growth stunt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a 125 litre juwel tank on gumtree, doesn't come with a filter though. Could anyone recommend me a good enough filter for my goldies if I put them in there but for as cheap as possible. Thanks

According to aqadvisor.com I could use my interpet p2 from my current tank and add an interpet p4 and thered be plenty of filtration. Does that sound okay?

I had to look those filters up.

But yes, I think you'd have sufficient filtration with both. And it's a very good idea to move your current filter over to the new tank.

I've got interpet in my tropical tank and it seems fine so far so just getting ones with higher filtration. I'm picking up the tank on sunday :D and hopefully my filter comes soon too cos I ordered it this morning. According to aqadvisor ill be 71% stocked with them fish and filters, won't be adding any more fish but can't wait to put my fish in a bigger tank :D gotta go get some gravel now. Can I plant the gravel that looks like small pebbles? I've just started using real plants in my tropical tank but that's sand and I don't really want to use sand

Also I don't really want to use the gravel I've got in my current tank for the new tank, will my filter moving over and some plants + ornaments be enough to stop my tank cycling again? Even though the tank upgrade will be over double the size. Or should I fill some pots with my current gravel and put them in the new tank so the beneficial bacteria can transfer but I don't have to use that gravel on the bottom?

Sorry for question overload but.. Also, I've told the bloke I want to see it filled up before buying to check for leaks. Anything else I should check for before buying other than the obviously. It comes with tank, cabinit and new lights which I will ask to be turned on. Costing me £110 + I had to order a new filter, hope my goldfish appreciate this lol

Also I don't really want to use the gravel I've got in my current tank for the new tank, will my filter moving over and some plants + ornaments be enough to stop my tank cycling again? Even though the tank upgrade will be over double the size. Or should I fill some pots with my current gravel and put them in the new tank so the beneficial bacteria can transfer but I don't have to use that gravel on the bottom?

No, you aren't going to be able to have a fully cycled larger tank with just the filter and decor from the old one.

And even with the old gravel, the new tank will have to cycle. It probably will do it much faster.

So the moving the gravel decision is really up to you.

As long as you are moving the current cycled filter (along with the new filter) to the new tank and your not adding anymore fish, you should be fine. You may see a brief spike in toxins but nothing some extra water changes wont handle. You dont have to use the old gravel if you do not want to. Just stay on top of your daily tests until you are sure things are stable. :)

Went and picked up my new tank last night - juwel rio 125 litre, its beautiful :D so excited. Also bought some gravel - just small grey+white natural looking pebble type stuff. And I got a few large pebble type rocks to use as ornaments. I got them from a sort of building yard though where they sold bags of them, a lot of it looks like it was for ponds but what do I need to do to make sure they're safe for the aquarium? I've washed them in warm water and them left them in a bucket of what was boiling water over night?

You can do the vinegar test on the river rocks. Put a teaspoon of vinegar on the rock, and if it fizzes, there are enough carbonates present to raise the pH in the tank.

Or you can test the pH of the bucket they are sitting in now, after the water has cooled.

Thank you :)
I've just put my fish in their new home :D they're exploring. They look so tiny in it haha. Hoping this will encourage them to grow though. I've got my old and new filter up and running and my decorations + plants from the old tank in their too so hopefully it won't affect the cycle too badly although obviously I'm going to keep checking my levels. So glad I've finally be able to move them :) will post a picture once I have rearranged it a bit and the water has completely cleared as its still a little bit cloudy from the gravel x

Got some pictures of my tank. I will be rearranging it a bit because I don't like some of the ornaments + plants and my little orange dude is eating all my real plants lol. I'm really hoping this upgrade will help my little black moor, he's had so many problems, finally sorted the swim bladder and then he got what I thought was bad finrot, I'm now wondering if it was my other one nibbling him as its only on one side but his tail is gradually growing back. If you can see the other one. Do you think he's a ryukin or a calico fantail? I can't tell

They look tiny in here! :D

Attachments

• IMG-20130219-01917.jpg
    IMG-20130219-01917.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20130219-01912.jpg
    IMG-20130219-01912.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-20130219-01914.jpg
    IMG-20130219-01914.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 35
Meant to add this one too

Attachments

• IMG-20130219-01921.jpg
    IMG-20130219-01921.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 36
He looks like a ryukin to me.

Here are my ryukins.
73133-albums11522-picture51426.jpg

They'll grow, and won't look so tiny any more.

Your tank is coming along very nicely.

Yeah compared to yours mine does look like a ryukin :) any way to tell the sex? And are you able to keep any live plants with yours? Mine is eating them all lol. I'm probably going to completely rearrange my tank, the only thing I like is the big stones and the fish love the bridge but I don't have enough plants so it looks random lol

Also what do you feed yours and what's your temp at? Mine tend to have the same as my tropicals so usually a varied diet of goldfish pellets, blood worm, brine shrimp, peas and cucumber.

The only way I know the sex of mine is that Gypsy (the calico) shoves Blondie headfirst into the the pot of hygro (the pot behind them in this photo), which makes Gypsy male. (That's spawning behavior, and can get quite aggressive.)

My tank has all live plants in it. 5 anubias - tied off to rock (that's anubias you can see under their chins - the leaves are too tough to eat), the pot of giant hygro (it's a stem plant and I've got several stems in an unglazed terra cotta pot that they kept uprooting and dragging around the tank for a while), a potted retrospiralis crypt that melted but is putting on new leaves (it's to the right of them), a java fern mat, and several stems of floating anacharis and pennywort.

I think the floating stems distract them to some degree from the other plants (I can replenish those from my tropical tanks). The pots are 3" diameter pots and are really hard for them to get into, but you can see goldfish butts upended in them from time to time. I capped the pots off with gravel to give them some weight and make it harder for the fish to get into them.

I'm probably going to try a couple of jungle vals in the back of the tank. Those will go straight into the gravel. The java fern must not taste good, because except for trying to get hold of a corner of the mat and wag it around, they leave it alone.

I've got an album in my profile with a few full tank shots.

Also what do you feed yours and what's your temp at? Mine tend to have the same as my tropicals so usually a varied diet of goldfish pellets, blood worm, brine shrimp, peas and cucumber.

The tank is 74-75F. For their main diet, they get Repashy soilent green. I was feeding Hikari lionhead pellets in the afternoon, but Gypsy gets floaty on those and starts eating bubbles after the pellets.

They also get frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, green peas, spinach (they will not touch kale, either raw or blanched), a sliced and peeled piece of orange before a water change (they LOVE that), and banana (not often at all because of the high sugar content).

Gypsy like to eat out of my hand, and thinks anytime I stick my hand in the tank, it's time for food.

Back
Top Bottom