Goldfish Poo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This morning when I went to feed my goldfish I noticed that Terence was poo that was floating in the water that looked like it had air bubbles in it. Please help I am worried about my goldfish.

Is this the same tank as the goldfish, b/c one is a coldwater fish and the gouramis are tropical, they shouldn't be together. What size tank is this and what are the other tankmates?

Also I need to ask the same questions as in your other thread (it'll help me help you more): is the tank cycled? how long has it been set up? what are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings? When is the last time you did a water change?

And what did you feed him? If you feed floating flakes (or worse ... tropical flakes), they will gulp air, and the too high protein in the tropical flakes may ferment & give gas ... all that leads to gas in the gut & stomach (& swim bladder) problems.

Apart from the usual checks of water para, etc. a simple first treatment is to feed more veggies. <Goldfish should be having veggies every few days regardless.> Get some frozen peas, blanch them (I microwave in a bit of water) & shell it. Chop em up & feed to the fish.

No it is not the same tank as the tropical tank. The tank has been cycled for about 2 months. The ammonia is 0, the nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is 10. If feed them new life spectrum all purpose formula.

Im not familiar with that type of food (is it pellets or flakes?) but i agree with the peas. Plain, frozen peas that have been cooked for a few minutes in the micro. Make sure you remove the outer shell and mash them abit between your fingers before feeding. I feed my goldfish peas a couple of times a week and they LOVE them!! Try feeding only peas (and skipping the other food) for few days and see if this helps.

Im not familiar with that type of food (is it pellets or flakes?) but i agree with the peas. Plain, frozen peas that have been cooked for a few minutes in the micro. Make sure you remove the outer shell and mash them abit between your fingers before feeding. I feed my goldfish peas a couple of times a week and they LOVE them!! Try feeding only peas (and skipping the other food) for few days and see if this helps.

I agree. Always start with the simplest thing. I use NLS pellets too. Problem with many dried fish foods is that they can expand in the stomach and cause digestion issues, particularly if overfed.

I'd actually fast him for a day or two and then feed him one pea for a couple of days (prepared as noted above) and see if he's any better. If not we'll have to look at other causes. Good luck.

The thing is that I have heard bad things about feeding vegetables like that they pollute the water and cause bad water quality.

The thing is that I have heard bad things about feeding vegetables like that they pollute the water and cause bad water quality.

Don't leave them in too long, that's all. When I give my fish peas (I do it once a week just to aid digestion; I also fast them one day per week) I give it to them at night and leave it in until the next morning then I remove it. If you give it to them in the morning just leave it in until the evening and then take it out if any is left uneaten.

Any food source (protien, starch, fish food, or vegetable) is a source of decay and pollution (read: ammonia!) in a tank. Thats why its important to only feed your fish what they will eat in 2-3mins and cleanup any remaining food particles. I apply principle to peas as well and cleanup any that are not eaten.

I asked my local aquarium this question a while back about if I should feed my plecos vegetables and they told me no never to put vegetables in the tank.

And my lfs has given me HORRIBLE advice as well!!!! If i had listened to them, all of my fish would be dead right now!! Take anything they say with a grain of salt and do the research yourself to find out the right answer-your fish depend on you for this!!! By the way, im not sure what plecos eat but i do know what goldfish eat!

Last edited:
...if you dont feed your pleco vegetables it will die.(if there is no algae, and you dont over feed with your flakes/pellets)
There are tons of fish whos diets are supplemented with vegetables. I wouldnt ask him anymore questions.
If you want to know what you can feed your pleco send me a private message

I asked my local aquarium this question a while back about if I should feed my plecos vegetables and they told me no never to put vegetables in the tank.

I wouldn't trust that lfs ... they prob just want to sell you over-priced fish food ....

Real goldfish fanatics feed nothing but whole food to their fish ... ie real veggies, chopped up fish/shrimp, etc. They won't touch the dry pellets .... As long as you don't overfeed, there is no problem with pollution. <And if you overfeed pellets, it will pollute a tank worst than overfeeding veggies.> With my gang of fish, I never have leftovers to fish out. Peas are devoured within minutes. <I feed maybe 1-2 peas per fish chopped.>

As for pleco, they benefit from veggies as well. They esp. like zucchini or cucumber slices (just blanch a little before feeding.) You might have to fish out uneaten slices with just a pleco (I leave veggies in overnight, as plecos feed at night), but my goldfish generally finish any leftovers in the morning.

My lfs are actually very good. And we know the owner. He has had expieeence with fish for over 20 years and the same with most of his employes. The always give me good information and If I have a problem I do what they say and it turns out alright. So right now I don't no.

...if you dont feed your pleco veggies what is it going to have to eat???
Think about it.......

Oh well itll be fine on just the wafers.
Fresh veggies every now and then are good for it but probly not neccessary if you have a good wafer.

Back
Top Bottom