Goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookelynnb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a 10g filter for my 6g goldfish tank. Since its a new filter, will it kill my fish? I know there's no bacteria built up in it, so I wasn't sure if that would kill them or not.

Help!!

Attachments

• image-3575104196.jpg
    image-3575104196.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 65
It should not kill them but you if you have any other goldfish tanks take some of the water and put it in the new tank. And I also see you have a black Moore I also have one but they will out grow their home so be ready to upgrade in the future.

I have a Black Moor as well, but she did not stay black for very long -- it's commonly understood that the black pigment on their scales, due to all the cross-breeding, is not the dominant color, and most of these Moors change over time...

My "Ebony" went from solid black to now all-gold except for her dorsal fin and forked tail; she actually has Lionhead-like colors now...

If you can make it out, she's the gold one swimming just above the bridge in this pic; I will try and clip some more...

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 55
Yeah, I'll get then a new one when they get bigger! The pearlscale is still very small though!

Ill take some water from my fish tank!

Ok sounds good and my black moor has also began to change color. He is starting to turn a yellow gold color. And it looks really cool.

Ok sounds good and my black moor has also began to change color. He is starting to turn a yellow gold color. And it looks really cool.

Do you see where mine changed into that "yellow/gold" color as well? She almost looks, as I said, like a Lionhead...

I really like the black and orange color on the fish. :)

I really like the black and orange color on the fish. :)

Oh, whoops -- sorry, Fishguy! I thought I was addressing the OP to help with his/her Moor, but I see you were the one who stated your Moor changed to the same colors as mine...

No worries; yeah -- aren't the gold and black colors kinda cool on the Moors? This poor girl has been through so much and continues to soldier on -- first, she was added to a tank (when she was all black) that came down with a bacterial infection which wiped out the other goldfish in the tank, save for one Red Cap Oranda who actually started the whole problem by picking open sores on two of the other fish, another female Red Cap and a Chocolate Oranda, letting the infection in and killing them within 24 hours...

The Moor was rescued from that tank and placed in a tiny two-gallon or so Marina "goldfish starter kit" thing just for holding in fresh, clean water while I drained the infected tank and got it back up and running again. Once the bigger 60 gallon was cleaned out and sterilized, she was added back in and then the tank CRACKED and flooded our house about a week later, so she was scooped out yet again and placed in a 10 gallon with the remaining surviving goldfish, where she spent a good year getting water changes EVERY DAY in that time period until I could scrape up enough money to buy another 60 gallon...

So, now with the new Marineland we bought, she was AGAIN scooped out of the 10 gallon and moved to the new 60, where she continues to grow and change colors and flourish; the only thing with these Moors is their sight...I can tell she can't really see all that well from the telescoping eyes and she misses food that floats right past her...still, she eats enough at the surface...:)

It's ok and yes my moor is beginning to change color though its not as orange as yours is but it is on its way.

It's ok and yes my moor is beginning to change color though its not as orange as yours is but it is on its way.

From what I understand, this "gold/orange" kind of hue in their scales is what becomes dominant on almost all of them as the black pigmentation is shed...

I just got a 10g filter for my 6g goldfish tank. Since its a new filter, will it kill my fish? I know there's no bacteria built up in it, so I wasn't sure if that would kill them or not.

Help!!

The filter is not the issue here but your going to have a very difficult time trying to keep any goldfish in a 6g tank. 20-30g is the bare minimum for a single goldfish with 10x the filtration. You honestly need to upgrade this tank in the next month or so, if not sooner. In an uncycled, overstocked tank, your likely going to need to do water changes of 50+% atleast once daily, possibly multiple times a day.

Do you have a good liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit and a bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus to help with ammonia and nitrite? Please check out the links below as well and ask any questions!!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

And, it was actually our own JLK above, who informed me, initially (I have since done my own research on it), about the Black Moors' tendency to shed their black scales and turn into this dark gold color...;)

They actually do not shed their scales but simply lose melanin pigment. Lets stay on the Op's topic of discussion and her particular tank situation. :)

Well, what I meant was, they have a tendency for that black pigment to simply change into another color -- which is the essential driving point here; most Moor owners aren't aware of this and sometimes panic when they see it happening in their own tanks.

Back
Top Bottom