goldfish tankmates advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hXcReefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a comet goldfish,
and after i get my new 20 gallon set up i want to get a choclate moor, and an emerald cory catfish,

i've heard that cory cats like to live in shoals of 3 or more,
should i consider getting more?

You choice of tankmates is not ideal.

A comet really need a pond, a 20 gal is too small for it, esp. considering its full grown size of 12-24".

The moor is not likely to be able to compete with the comet for food. It has poor eyesight & is a slow swimmer. The comet will eat everything before the moor has a chance to find it.

Cories & goldfish don't mix. Even disregarding the basic temp & diet incompatibilities, people who keep both have had tragic results. The goldfish will try to eat the cories, and the cories, having a dorsal spine will get stuck in the gold's throat, killing both fish.

I would suggest a recosideration of your plans.

I agree with jsoong. I would find a nice pond for the Comet to live in and then you could get a 20g with just a Black/Chocolate Moor. I would keep just the Moor and nothing else. A 20g is really only big enough for 1 goldfish.

I agree with their advice. The comet should really go back to the store.

If you would like to keep goldfish, get the Moor and put it in a bigger tank. The smallest I'd put a goldfish in is 40g. 55g is even better if you have the room. Then you could 2 or 3, and they'd be happier.:)

Catfish are definately out of the question...unless you go with a smaller synodontis. I'm not sure of temps though so look into it first.

I second hacket. Stick with fancy Goldfish and only keep them with their own kind, as a) they are coldwater fish and are almost exclusive in their temperature preferences and b) Their fancy poms, eyes, fins, etc slow them down and make it difficult for them to compete with quicker fish for food.

Back
Top Bottom