Goldfish, to cycle tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First of all, is this ok? the water has been treated and has been in there for 2 days now. Will goldfish do the job?
I've heard they can take a range of temperatures and i know there pretty damn hardy so i reckon it'll be ok.

Any thoughts or sugestions?

what do you plan to do with the goldfish after cycling? unless you're planning on having a goldfish tank, you'll have to find something to do with it.

a fishless cycle is more humane, and you don't have to worry about doing water changes to keep the fish comfortable.

just go to a hardware store and buy some pure ammonia, put it in the tank and watch the cycle happen. no work needed besides testing params (unless i've been doing it horribly wrong...)

Thanks for your reply,
We have a golfish tank in our house aswell, i would just put a couple in the tank and let them do the cycling, afterwards i would return them to their original tank. I thought of using goldfish bacause they are pretty hardy fish, that would probably be ok in my new tank, with new treated water.
what do you think?

I would go with the fishless method. You don't have to do the daily water changes or test the levels every day. Plus, it's faster to go the fishless route.

You could also run the new filter on the old tank for a few weeks for an instant cycle. Levels should still be measured for a few days after the initial setup, but as long as the filter is seeded it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom