Good bacteria? Help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Want to start another 10 gallon. How can I add good bacteria? I don't want to take any gravel out of my 40 and my other 10 gallon tank. Should I just get a marino moss ball and a piece of drift wood with a live plant attached to it? Would plants help? Thanks!

Austin.b said:
I Want to start another 10 gallon. How can I add good bacteria? I don't want to take any gravel out of my 40 and my other 10 gallon tank. Should I just get a marino moss ball and a piece of drift wood with a live plant attached to it? Would plants help? Thanks!

Too seed your new tank you can use anything from the other tanks. Substrate, decorations (driftwood, statues, etc) or part of the filter media from the other tanks filters. Or, alternately, you can run your new filter (for the new tank) on one of the old tanks for 4-6 weeks to seed. Then you can transfer it over to the new tank and stock slowly and lightly while keeping an eye on your parameters.

As said in the previous post. Get some decor,substrate,driftwood and If you can, get some filter media from a well established tank. Just make sure it's from someone you know and trust and also make sure there's no issues with any disease or anything.

Thats what I did to help my tank along. I got 2 filters from a friends tank, driftwood, gravel, 2 logs for hiding and some rocks. I out them all in my tank and it help out A LOT!

Good luck.

So when you do this, how long does it take to cycle?

I took down my 29g tank last week, and transferred everything over to my new 46g bow front. I re-used all of the plants, a big piece of driftwood, and my Penguin power filter.

Im getting nitrates as of this morning (did the big transfer last wednesday), no nitrites and a little ammonia (.25).

Chriznat20 said:
So when you do this, how long does it take to cycle?

I took down my 29g tank last week, and transferred everything over to my new 46g bow front. I re-used all of the plants, a big piece of driftwood, and my Penguin power filter.

Im getting nitrates as of this morning (did the big transfer last wednesday), no nitrites and a little ammonia (.25).

Probably should have started your own thread. Anyways...... If you transferred everything over your good to go. By transferring your filter you've moved most of your BB to the new tank. Keep an eye on your levels and do a PWC if needed. Everything should be sweet in a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom