Good Cycle Fish for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Cola1151

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to cycle my tank with some fish, but I want to keep those fish for good. I however want to setup a Dwarf Puffer tank and see how they aren't really community fish. What tankmates would you recommend to me for cycling?

I don't really think dwarf puffers are good tank mates for any fish.
Is there a particular reason you want to do a fish-in cycle? It doesn't really speed up the process, and any fish in the tank while it's cycling will be miserable. Adding ammonia to your water achieves the same purpose as having fish in the tank, and doesn't cause potential harm to anything.
If you're really in a hurry, and know someone with a healthy, established tank, you could get some of their used filter media and drop in your filter for a few days. This will speed up the cycle process greatly (opinions vary on cycling this way), but you still need to do water tests before adding fish, and there's always the risk of parasites or other nasties being introduced into your tank from someone else's media.

I wanted to do the instant cycle with ATM Colony, but if the fish in the tank are not permanent then I will have to try another method.
My idea was to put in 2 fish, and add the bacteria a few days later. That should spike the levels.

Dr Tim's makes a product that contains all the necessary good bacteria you need. You can add a couple of fish right away. You can check it out on YouTube. Though I haven't used it, I have only heard good things. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom