Good size tank for beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I curently have a 5 gallon tank that I've had for a month and am almost finished cycling- have documented Nitrite and Nitrate spikes and am just waiting for Ammonia/Nitrites to fall back to 0. I would like to upgrade to a larger tank and know someone who has a 40 gal tank/stand for sale and was wondering if this would be a good size for a beginner to take on. Opinions appreciated. :)

I'm sure you will get a varied opinion here about this as it is a loaded question. IMO, I say go as big as you can fit. The more water you have in the tank the slower water quality changes which is more forgiving for beginners. Most people relate small tanks to beginner aquarium enthusiasts, when in fact, the larger probably is better and more forgiving. The only thing that really changes when you go larger is that you will need a bigger filter/multiple filters and larger water changes. From there, you can have more fish or the same amount of fish in more water and they will be happier anyway. I personally don't look at tank size when it comes to experience.

Sounds about ideal. You can then use your 5 gal as a quarantine tank, or birthing tank, etc.

The bigger the better. Bigger tanks dont really require anything more than smaller tanks maintenance wise. Parameters swing easily in smaller tanks where there is not as much water to dilute the ammonia or nitrate. What size 40g is this? Is it a standard 40 or a 40 breeder? You're definitely going to have alot more options for fish with a 40g vs a 5g, but a 40g breeder will give you even more. If you can afford it, go on and get a 75g or larger. Once MTS takes over, you'll get one anyways, might as well save some money and spring for it now :)

I'm sure you will get a varied opinion here about this as it is a loaded question. IMO, I say go as big as you can fit. The more water you have in the tank the slower water quality changes which is more forgiving for beginners. Most people relate small tanks to beginner aquarium enthusiasts, when in fact, the larger probably is better and more forgiving. The only thing that really changes when you go larger is that you will need a bigger filter/multiple filters and larger water changes. From there, you can have more fish or the same amount of fish in more water and they will be happier anyway. I personally don't look at tank size when it comes to experience.

Unknowingly I bought the 5 gallon thinking it would be easier to start with. Everything I've read since then confirms what you've said..I just don't want to get in over my head.

What do you reccomend I buy to handle water changes as it will obviously be on a much larger scale then what I've been doing? I currently have been storing treated tap water in gallon containers and have just been using a simple plastic container to remove water from the tank into a sink.

If I do purchase the 40 gallon I plan on putting the filter material and gravel from the 5 gal into the 40 gallon. Anything else I can do to help things along?

The bigger the better. Bigger tanks dont really require anything more than smaller tanks maintenance wise. Parameters swing easily in smaller tanks where there is not as much water to dilute the ammonia or nitrate. What size 40g is this? Is it a standard 40 or a 40 breeder? You're definitely going to have alot more options for fish with a 40g vs a 5g, but a 40g breeder will give you even more. If you can afford it, go on and get a 75g or larger. Once MTS takes over, you'll get one anyways, might as well save some money and spring for it now :)

*ha* I'm begining to see that I wasted my money with the little tank and should have went straight to a larger one to begin with! The tank in question is just like the one in the picture. Comes with the lid, lights, stand, and two Aqua Clear 30 filters.

Marineland+29+Gallon+Aquarium+Ensemble+with+Pine+Stand+in+Black+Finish.jpg

Purchased the aquarium, got it home, and by my measurements it's a little over a 35 gallon tank- not a 40 like I was told. I have it filled with water, added some Prime, and have hooked up a heater to regulate the temperature. Also, he decided in the end he didn't want to part with the 2 Aqua Clear 30 gal filters he had previously mentioned, so I went ahead and purchased a Aqua Clear 50 gal filter. Is this a Good choice? He did give me a bottle of Microbe-lift Special Blend. Should I use it or toss it? Also, any advice on how/when to make the transitions between tanks would be appreciated.

All of the previous filter systems I've used had filter cartridges, so I've never before used a system with quite as many filter materials.

I have two zebrafish, three pristella tetra, and a recently aquired zebra snail in the 5 gallon all of which I'm planning on adding to the 35 gallon.

100% agree with this. a bigger tank is just more stable.

Agreed that a bigger tank is more forgiving for a beginner. But you also have to keep in mind that you'll need to be doing regular water changes, which are more troublesome the bigger the tank!

I did purchase a siphon for my kitchen faucet, so I won't have to carry water when doing water changes...How often can I expect to do PWCs after the tank has completely cycled?

Back
Top Bottom