Good tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjs2115

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a established 29 gallon...
Currently have 6 black skirt tetras and 2 platies.
I would like to add 2 Bolivian Rams and possibly a Dwarf Gourami.

Would this be a peaceful tank?
Any other suggestions on top level swimmers, if the Gourami isn't a good pick?

Thanks!

In a established 29 gallon... Currently have 6 black skirt tetras and 2 platies. I would like to add 2 Bolivian Rams and possibly a Dwarf Gourami. Would this be a peaceful tank? Any other suggestions on top level swimmers, if the Gourami isn't a good pick? Thanks!
I believe it would be fine

I had a problem with a Dwarf Gourami and rams. My tank was a 20 long so you might be ok with the 29. Rams like heavy planted tanks.

rams and a dwarf gourami should in theory be okay assuming its a somewhat tall tank, the rams on the bottom and the gourami near the surface

Dwarf gourami are one of those fish that are generally pretty peaceful, though it is not all that uncommon to get a grumpy one who does not play well with others. So, in theory that should be a compatible combo. In practice, it will depend on the individual fish. If it was my tank, I would try it without an issue. Just be aware that you need to keep an eye on it, and if there is an issue, somebody will need to be re-homed. It is usually pretty easy to trade a fish in to a fish store though.

Dwarf gourami are one of those fish that are generally pretty peaceful, though it is not all that uncommon to get a grumpy one who does not play well with others. So, in theory that should be a compatible combo. In practice, it will depend on the individual fish. If it was my tank, I would try it without an issue. Just be aware that you need to keep an eye on it, and if there is an issue, somebody will need to be re-homed. It is usually pretty easy to trade a fish in to a fish store though.
haha I know what you mean my [mod edit] gourami doesn't even nip at my platy fry! To bad cause I don't want them urg haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought that I would add a note on the Dwarfs. I have a friend that has kept them for years and I spoke to him recently as I am considering adding them to my tank. He mentioned that they are generally very calm and peaceful but told me that I should make sure to keep them in pairs. His experience was that any time he tried to keep males without a female, their life span was super short...most only living to be 6-10 months. Just a thought, you might want to add them by the pair on the side of caution.

Ok so current stats
I added the 2 rams. Love them. Not sure on the sex, but they stick together, so far. I also added a clown pleco, which will only get to be 4". The fiance really wanted some fancy guppies, because she thought they were cool. I was against it, but what can ya do? If they get eaten...oops. But so far the rams pay no attention to them. And the guppies stay mid-top, where the rams stick to the bottom of the tank.
Now, am I getting close or going over my bioload if I added 1 or 2 DGs? Would the DGs attack the guppies?

So now have
2 bolivian rams
6 black skirt tetras
5 guppies
2 platy
1 clown pleco

I do weekly water changes of 30%.

Rams are too small to eat gups. No worries there. Guppies can get abused in communities though, because they are so flashy that they attract fin nippers. Keep an eye on them. It also might be fine.
IMO, you would be ok to add 1 dg. Just keep an eye on it and make sure nobody is bullying anybody. There is a chance it won't work out, and you could have to rehome it in the future. It also might be totally good. If it was my tank, I would try it and see how it goes.
Make sure to stay on top of your water changes. I would do 50% instead of 30%. Also, don't let the gups overpopulate the tank (if you have both genders). Also, make sure your clown pleco has driftwood.

Yeah about the clown pleco. He NEVER comes out of his cave. I have dropped algae wafers in and he doesn't appear to touch them. I have even looked in, in the middle of the night, and he's still not out. Is that common for these guys?

With the drift wood, are there precautions you have to take? I read stuff about the wood releasing chemicals into the water that can hurt the fish in the longer run.

Yeah about the clown pleco. He NEVER comes out of his cave. I have dropped algae wafers in and he doesn't appear to touch them. I have even looked in, in the middle of the night, and he's still not out. Is that common for these guys?

With the drift wood, are there precautions you have to take? I read stuff about the wood releasing chemicals into the water that can hurt the fish in the longer run.
cure it by putting it in boiling hot water, letting it dry, remove bark if you want, and re put it in the boiling water!

Also, yes, that is common for clown plecos to hide all the time. Some will come out more than others, but they are certainly not known for being adventurous.

Back
Top Bottom