Got a new aquarium.......but what fish to choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clueless

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a great 20 gallon and it is circulating as we speak.....It has a cottage hut with bubbles, a spinning wheel, and some fake plants.....It's an awesome aquarium....really!! But now, I have to choose fish.....what should I pick? :multi: What fish.....help me!

Well clueless, this depends on what type of aquarium you want to have. Are you going for goldfish, tropicals, brackish, etc.?

Do you want colorful active fish? A community of various habits?
Aggressive fish?

If you have some ideas for the above, the list becomes easier.

yea, but since your cycle JUST started these are the fish that I reccomend, doesnt mean im right but this combo worked for me

first add some mollies(any variety) wait for about 1-2 weeks, get 5 cories(any variety i chose bronze), then wait another 1-2 weeks, and add some nice solid black mollies

this is what i did and my tank is PERFECT i had my mollies breed, so now i have 2 solid black mollies(out of the 4 i got i have 3 females and 1 male) are pregnant and i have a breeder net and these are the LIVING plants i have

1 clump of Java Fern 2 clumps of Cobumba(sp?), and some long hair grass plant

thats the perfect combo for me, after another week i am going to add 3 clown loaches and 2 angels(1 female silver angel and a male golden crown capped)

HTH

Rudy.........I'd love to take your advice.........and I like cories and all.........but mollies sorta......SUCK!......just my opinion.. But, I want cories. I don't want aggresive fish.....but I do like fairly small and pretty ones.......so what can I say....Pigmy Cories.......CHECK!!!! So on my list! :roll: But it sounds lik u r happy with ur tank.......that is always a good thing

for a 20 gallon... you would want something small right? I myself have a 24 gallon.

Ok, for something different, a really stunning female betta. Some female can be quite colourful and beautiful even if they don't have the big fins like the males do. I wasn't able to get a really nice female betta for myself so i ended up with an ordinary one. But it is really cute and stays small but it still can stand up for itself in the community.

Rudy_627 said:
yea, but since your cycle JUST started these are the fish that I reccomend, doesnt mean im right but this combo worked for me

first add some mollies(any variety) wait for about 1-2 weeks, get 5 cories(any variety i chose bronze), then wait another 1-2 weeks, and add some nice solid black mollies

Ok, your cycle has not started yet if you do not have any fish in there to produce ammonia, or another source of ammonia as in a fishless cycle. And if you do decide to cycle with fish, please don't add fish every 1-2 weeks. Your biological filter won't be established, and will not be able to handle the bioload and your fish will suffer from ammonia and nitrite poisoning. They will also be more prone to diseases like ich or at the very least, really really stressed. If you are going to cycle with fish stock lightly with hardy fish and invest in a liquid reagent test kit- I use the Freshwater Master Test Kit. Test the water regularly and do water changes as necessary to help keep the ammonia and nitrites under control. Search around here for the articles on cycling and become familiar with how the process works. The tank will take from 4-6 weeks to cycle, and then you can begin to add more fish slowly, like every couple of weeks. If you know someone with an established tank that you can trust, you can run your filter on their tank for a couple of weeks and then add the cycled filter to your tank. I've started a couple of my own tanks that way and it works great. Oh, and pygmy cories are very cute but probably would not survive a cycle, I would wait to add them until the tank is done cycling.

Rudy, do you have plans for a much larger tank in the future? Clown loaches can grow up to about 12 inches, much too large for a 29 gallon.

You could get two fancy goldfish, some type of loaches like dojos or khulis or something. Some sort of algae eater like ottos, any pleco other than the common variety, or true SAE's. Then decorate it with some nice plants.

You should test your water for hardness and ph first. Then pick fish that are compatible with your water. It's a lot easier than buying fish, then trying to jugglr water to suit them. :D

well sorry for the bad advice :oops: , this is what worked for me :roll:

but i just got an angel today and my angel, and my mollies are schooling together great and they love my angel, he is not getting picked on either

hope your tank goes well :mrgreen:

once again sorry :oops: :(

Back
Top Bottom