Got some seeded media!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
Big thanks to Mr Fisher for sending me a seeded sponge and some biomax from his established tank. They are in my AC 30 filter now, hopefully boosting the cycle on my "cycle-challenged" 10 gallon.

How long does it generally take to see results?

Big thanks to Mr Fisher for sending me a seeded sponge and some biomax from his established tank. They are in my AC 30 filter now, hopefully boosting the cycle on my "cycle-challenged" 10 gallon.

How long does it generally take to see results?

Just test your water daily for a week and see if your water chem gets bad. If not your good sometimes it's near instant.

I'll be following to see results as I may buy some as well

Per your request

Just test your water daily for a week and see if your water chem gets bad. If not your good sometimes it's near instant.

^ this

I boxed up OP's stuff late friday night 3/7/14 and these are the results on sunday 3/9/14. My Tap water is 0.25PPM Ammonia.

ksAf53w.jpg

I can't figure out how to time stamp my pictures on the camera so here's the EXIF data for anyone who want's to see it.

http://exifdata.com/exif.php

Current media will not be ready for sale for about 2 more weeks.

Hi I'm sorry to hijack your thread.. Can someone help me out on the normal testing levels.. Tested mine today and results were

Ph 7- 7.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm..

Is this ok.. Still learning as I go along

Thank you

I dont see why you would buy 'seeded material'. Most fish stores will let you have some for free. Oh and if the sponge or biomax dries out the bacteria will die. Hope it wasn't dry when it arrived

My fish stores wont.

Do you use them regularly? Have you taken time to talk to the people who work there or own the stores?
If you just rock up and on your first visit ask for filter material then of course your not going to get it

Do you use them regularly? Have you taken time to talk to the people who work there or own the stores?
If you just rock up and on your first visit ask for filter material then of course your not going to get it

Most chain stores won't. None of mine do. They want to sell you the quick start stuff.

There is one mom and pop store that I have been to here and one of the owners told me I was too stupid to own fish. I simply asked if electric blue jack Dempseys needed all of the same things as regular jacks. It was the first time I had ever seen or heard of the ebjds so I just asked a question. So I haven't been back since

Hi, OP here again. Since I have an AC 30 filter, is it best to run it at full flow, low flow, or somewhere in between to really get the bacteria to grow in there? On one hand, I can see that you would want as much water going through there as possible, but on the other, I could see that you would want it going slow, so the BB has a chance to grab onto something? Thoughts?

Woohoo!! Just did some tests. Nitrites at 3 PPM, and Nitrates about 5 PPM!

It's been almost 4 weeks with zero for both. Ah... feels good to finally be making progress. :cool:

Congrats! You're rolling. Let it run at full speed. Any bacteria that slough off will seed the rest of the filter and the tank as well.

Tonight's readings.

Ammonia: 0.25 (never had it this low!)
Nitrite: 4
Nitrate: 10

I'm wondering at what point should I do a water change to dilute the nitrite? If it's over 5, will it overwhelm the BB?

Back
Top Bottom