Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbelR1975

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an 80 gallon freshwater tank that I just set up. I am cycling it with 2 Gourami and 4 Tiger Barbs. The Barbs and the Gourami get along fine. The thing that worries me right now is that the Gourami seem to be not getting along. I took a video of what they are doing. Is this normal? Also, could someone please tell me exactly which type of Gourami these are, please? :confused:

Here is a link to the video... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20104633/Video%20May%2018%2C%2010%2021%2041%20PM.mov

They're blue gouramis (also known as the three spot gourami) I don't have personal experience keeping them so I don't want to offer an opinion on their behavior.

Blue Gouramis are fighting. Remove one.
Gouramis are not social, they may fight until one or both dies.
The three spot Gouramis of any color in general are butt heads with other Gouramis.
Even pairs may fight to the death.

They can get aggressive with other fish as they mature. But your tank is big enough they may just stake out a territory and keep other fish away from it. Give them floating plants at least in one section if you can.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabulous :banghead: Well, thank you both for your replies. I guess I'll have to take one back to the store. At least they weren't expensive!

If you have 1 male with 3 females it can work as that's what I had to do with my pearls which are similar. The males tend to be the aggressor to the females. And ever the females will have a hierarchy among themselves. All of this is normal.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1 Paradise gourami male , 1 pearl gourami and 1 blue gourami and 1 gold (last 3 frmales) would they breed? Can u mix different types?

Back
Top Bottom