Gravel or sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 72gal. Im really learning as I go I have had to take 2 fish back and I'm about to do the same with the clown knife I wasn't told about some fish being mean and when I got the tank I had gotten some mean ones I have a Molly that is about to give birth so I have to send the clown knife back before that happens. I think I'm going to go with the sand I do like the way it looks but no one has really said if I should have some kind of bottom feeder. And if I should what should I get

Clowns get pretty big. If you're hoping to keep the mollies then other livebearers make good tank mates. If you're sticking with mollies, for a bottom feeder corydoras are very cute! You can get a zillion different ones, panda, bronze, green, striped.. Your LFS is bound to have a few or able to order some. Loaches can be quite nice too - I agree about doing some googling. I'm a big fan of the weather loach I currently have with my guppies. A bit skittish but quite content. VERY active with weather changes.

Do you have anything you're interested in?? What do you envision in the aquarium? If you like the mollies you could have a whole lot more than two (which will happen if you have male and female, naturally :lol:)

or get a plastic cup i use one and cuz i do the bucket and pitcher water change i fill the pitcher from the 10 gallon bucket and i let it drop in the cop i kind of tilt it and just so the water runs out so like that i dont have to get wet trying to get a cop from the water or u could get a gallon jog and poke many holes in the bottom and sides, it will be a little bit slower but it sure won mess a thing (cut a big hole in the side so u can lill it up with water on top of the tank

Almost forgot...NEVER listen to the advice your LFS gives you!!!!! If you have questions come to us.

Not all LFS are that bad.. I'm quite lucky 2/4 are quite knowledgeable. The third is a NIGHTMARE and fourth I just dont waste my time..

:agree: But based on what has happened - this time I completely agree. Whoever sold you a clown and mollies :banghead: You never know if you don`t ask and there`s no such thing as a stupid question

or get a plastic cup i use one and cuz i do the bucket and pitcher water change i fill the pitcher from the 10 gallon bucket and i let it drop in the cop i kind of tilt it and just so the water runs out so like that i dont have to get wet trying to get a cop from the water or u could get a gallon jog and poke many holes in the bottom and sides, it will be a little bit slower but it sure won mess a thing (cut a big hole in the side so u can lill it up with water on top of the tank

Getting wet is part of having fish :lol: You would both do much better with a gravel vac

In reference to the LFS......when I get dish I have to stop the person from what they call "catching" my fish and do it myself. They just slam the net around and pinch the fish against the glass. Kind of makes them mad when I say " since you did that I dont want to buy that injured fish" then thsy proceed to talk to me like Im the idiot here

In reference to the LFS......when I get dish I have to stop the person from what they call "catching" my fish and do it myself. They just slam the net around and pinch the fish against the glass. Kind of makes them mad when I say " since you did that I dont want to buy that injured fish" then thsy proceed to talk to me like Im the idiot here

That`s unfortunate. Good for you for not taking the injured fish though.

Getting wet is part of having fish :lol: You would both do much better with a gravel vac

true i give you that i like getting my hands in while vacuuming specially cuz my fish pec at me and let me touch them specially my rainbow shark and tiger barbs which i have to admit they got issues they r attention hogs

I'm not really sure about what I see in the long run with this tank. Right now I have stopped getting fish cause I have to get rid of the clown knife before my Molly has her babies. Right now I'm just really trying to figure out how to clean the gravel (I do have a vacuum) I just don't feel that it's getting things as clean as I would like for it to. After this discussion tonight I really think I'm going to go with the sand and take out the gravel. Will the corydoras be ok with my eel?

also just as a future reference when and if u get another tank b4 u start ill recommend to have a plan and think about it truly and ponder about it cuz if u dont really feel good about it or doing whenever some idea pops in ur head in the long run you might not like it

Yeah I think that's where I'm at now. One day I wanted fish so I got a tank and now I don't know anything and I'm just not really happy with things right now. I now know that even though I like the different looking fish most of them are not for me I don't like the mean fish that only really come out at night when I'm sleeping I want to be able to watch the fish. Also as I look at pic of others and their tanks it makes me want to just take everything out and start all over

I'm probably the only fish owner that is terrified of being touched by my fish! I'll hand feed them until they touch my fingers, then I drop the block of frozen bloodworms :ROFLMAO: (which they LOVE - most fish do). They get this as a 'treat' because they GORGE themselves and poop like nobody's business.. They're like goldfish! Eat until they burst. (4 small fish and a giant block of bloodworms = way too much food)

Depending how big the clown is you'll be lucky if the mollies don't become clown midnight snack one night so better sooner than too late. If it's still quite small they might be alright for awhile. Clown knives are pretty neat, if you are more interested in keeping the knife then you could always get rid of the mollies. Anything that will fit in its mouth is likely to become a snack.

What about the tank isn't 'clean enough'? If you want any kind of bottom feeder it'd be irresponsible to have anything but sand IMO. Bottom feeders have barbels around their mouths and gravel can wreak havoc on their barbels (just so you know WHY sand is better, not just that 'it is'). Corydoras and your eel should be okay, they're SUPPOSED to be peaceful. Do a search of the forum to see what other people keep their eels with if you're interested in keeping the eel. They're a very unique addition. Also - the cats are schooling and happiest if kept in a group.

You have a good sized aquarium, 72g, so you have plenty of options as to stocking. Just be sure to do some research about compatible tank mates.

Is the tank cycled? Do you check the parameters regularly?

also just as a future reference when and if u get another tank b4 u start ill recommend to have a plan and think about it truly and ponder about it cuz if u dont really feel good about it or doing whenever some idea pops in ur head in the long run you might not like it

:agree:

I'm probably the only fish owner that is terrified of being touched by my fish! I'll hand feed them until they touch my fingers, then I drop the block of frozen bloodworms :ROFLMAO: (which they LOVE - most fish do). They get this as a 'treat' because they GORGE themselves and poop like nobody's business.. They're like goldfish! Eat until they burst. (4 small fish and a giant block of bloodworms = way too much food)[/FONT]

oh at first i used to flip out and i just tried and see if they would do it again and since then i dont minf but some times the tiger barbs get greedy and try to get a snack and do it a lil harder

im just speaking from experience

I would recommend putting the frozen block of bloodworms in a glass of water first. Let it thaw and fall apart before feeding it to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom