gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leehunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys

I know that this gas probably asked numerous times before and I've also Googled a lot.

I have a new 55g freshwater tank with some fancy goldfish and a BN pleco to go in it but awaiting for it to arrive i am presently using pea sized natural looking gravel but would like to goto sand.

A lot of people have said about PFS and also blasting sand, what would be better for my goldfish as i don't want it to irritate their gills etc... Also shall i go beige/natural or black

Any responses will be appreciated

It would be a personal preference. I have both PFS and black fine sand. I love the look of the black but love the versatility of PFS.

Would there be any sort of issue based on granual size as the fancies are bottom feeders or as mentioned i read through Google about irritation to gills??

Thanks FB
i was considering black tbh as i too thought it might stand out but again with the poop machines that both fancy GF and a BN plec is, how severe would their waste be visible im happy cleaning most of it away a couple of times a week if i need too but want to enjoy the beauty of the tank without them swimming in their own crap, as gravel allows the waste to.pass through its substrate?

Lol

Their waste is visible for a little while. What I found best is to get a filter that is twice the power and then when your fish stir it up it will suck in all the waste. If you don't want to go the route you can just let it sit. It will decompose in a day or two. Then your plants and bio-filter will love that.

Back
Top Bottom