Gravel Vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dexrop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just wondering

1. is a gravel vacuum is a necessity?

2. When you vacuum does it get rid of the bacteria in the tank? (I have a 5 gal tank)

3. How often should you vacuum?

1. YES

2. No

3. Typically when you do your water changes, so once a week, or every other tops. Since you have a 5 gal I would probably do two 25% water changes every week.

1. YES

2. No

3. Typically when you do your water changes, so once a week, or every other tops. Since you have a 5 gal I would probably do two 25% water changes every week.

Thanks for the quick reply, gonna pick one up over the weekend.

Not a problem. I would recommend the python (google python water changer if you don't know what it is) if you had a larger tank. You will be all right with the regular vacuum and a bucket with your 5g though.

yeh vacuum away i use mine every couple of days and it gets all the dirt left by fish waste and food it looks an ugly brown colour when doin this i do it till it all start to look clear
only problem is sometime you take to much water out somhave to put loads back in but worth it to keep ammonia and nitrites away

1. YES

2. No

i would just like to add and it prob doesnt apply here but for number 1 in my planted tanks i rarely gravel vac. at most i go over the top of the plants kicking up any extra waste. if i went into the substrate i would most likely be destroying roots. again prob not the case but if others read.

i vac my sand but not deep the sand can get picked up into the bucket. i have white sand so i need to do this on a weekly basis

i would just like to add and it prob doesnt apply here but for number 1 in my planted tanks i rarely gravel vac. at most i go over the top of the plants kicking up any extra waste. if i went into the substrate i would most likely be destroying roots. again prob not the case but if others read.
i gravel vac allover and i have live plants i just dont do to close to my plants or can move them carefully out of the way so not to kill or chop of roots. i do this because gravel looks clean but once you go into it it takes out loads of unseen dirt :p

i gravel vac allover and i have live plants i just dont do to close to my plants or can move them carefully out of the way so not to kill or chop of roots. i do this because gravel looks clean but once you go into it it takes out loads of unseen dirt :p
most of mine i cant seen much of the substrate lol

Back
Top Bottom