Gravel vs. sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosebud

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone,

I am returning to the hobby after over 10 years. I always used gravel as a substrate but have read on this forum that a lot of people are using sand. I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of sand vs. gravel and what differences in caring for the tank are involved if you use sand.

I am planning to have a school of cories and I understand they do prefer sand.

Thanks for the help,
Roxi

I have a school of Corys and they love the sand. They can safely burrow their heads in the sand without their little barbs being injured. The fish waste seems to lie on top of the sand, so with a gravel vacuum you can get the majority of it out without losing much sand at all.

I would definately use sand.

I used to use gravel but now all my tanks have sand. Generally, it's much easier to keep clean and the fish seem to like it more. If you have bottom dwellers, it's a must. (y)

Tony and Lynda,

Thanks for responding. I found an old post listing all different kinds of sand options. Are you using the pool filter sand or something else?

I have a mixture of sand and gravel. It's basically sand with some gravel sprinkled on it. You could always have most of the tank be gravel, with a little sandbank in the middle.

I use pfs. I have used play sand and it's a hassle. I've been told by others that it could be just the brand that I got, but it's very muddy and doesn't sift like other sand. It clumps.

I just switched from gravel to sand and I already like the sand better; it looks more natural (even though I have black sand lol). The rinsing initially takes some work and even so ad my tank was cloudy for about 12 hours but then it settled and it looks great. I don't even have fish yet (fishless cycling) but I can imagine they'll look great against the dark sand (and it'll be fun to get some bottom-feeders and watch them play in it lol).

librarygirl said:
I just switched from gravel to sand and I already like the sand better; it looks more natural (even though I have black sand lol). The rinsing initially takes some work and even so ad my tank was cloudy for about 12 hours but then it settled and it looks great. I don't even have fish yet (fishless cycling) but I can imagine they'll look great against the dark sand (and it'll be fun to get some bottom-feeders and watch them play in it lol).

Sand looks aaaammmmazzzing! Go with sand! Rinse it really well and I usually put it in before the water, then I put a plate or something so it won't kick up the sand when I pour the water on top of it.

I put a plate or something so it won't kick up the sand when I pour the water on top of it.

Great idea. Even with gravel we used to pour over a rock when doing a pwc.

So, I had an unexpected day off today so I went into town to do some grocery shopping, so of course I headed for the lfs first : )

I looked at the Endlers - had never seen/heard of them until I joined this list. They are pretty little fish. Also saw some zebra nerite snails - very cool looking.

I'm planning on setting up my little 10g just to "rewet my fee" and to tide me over until I can set up my 55g. I'm thinking of using gravel at the back half and put in a few plants, and setting up a sand bar at the front of the tank. Considering about 5 Endlers, 1 zebra nerite snail, and maybe a Gold Comet Platy or Blue Coral Platy. What do you think?

I wouldn't keep the platy singly if I were you. To be honest, I'd never keep any fish singly unless I absolutely had to. Fish seem happier in groups

Back
Top Bottom