Graveyard and cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaLady

Aquarium Advice Regular
Oops spelled GRAVEYARD WRONG
So what I did to cycle this dirted 30 gallon with osmocote plus and organic garden dolomite lime sprinkled on the bottom with eco complete cap. Squeezed out established filter media in the tank till it got so murky, it was black. Detritus settled at the bottom so added a wavemaker pointing to the two filters ( AC70 and Penguin 200 I think) until it was cleared up. Added 25 minnows, all but 3 died.
Do I leave some if the fish's bodies in there for ammonia or take them out?
Was it a bad idea to put plants in?
Where do I go from here?

1477068187763.jpg

1477068171535.jpg

I would leave the plants in, theyll suck up some of the nutrients but i would remove the dead fish.

I would do 10% every other day or very two day till the levels balance out. Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia hit 0. Seachem prime helps detox nitrates, nitrites and ammonia.

The soil is full of ammonia and that's probably what killed your fish. Don't put any more fish in just lots and lots of plants.

Buy an ammonia test kit and check for ammonia until reading is 0ppm once ammonia is 0 you can start adding fish carefully and slowly.

What size tank is this and what are your plans/goals?

I have a 30 gallon. Was thibking of a hardscaped dutch style. How about seachem stability?

IMO you dont need it, stick to seachem prime and let tank cycle on its own.

Back
Top Bottom