Green Puffer 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, for Christmas I'm asking for this 10 gallon kit:
Aquaculture Home Starter Kit - Walmart.com

I don't know much about Green Puffers, but I saw them at WalMart. Can I fit it in a 10 gallon with it "thriving" with a platy, 2 guppies, and 1 female betta???? If not, would a dwarf puffer work????
BY THE WAY: I AM NOT GOING TO PURCHASE THE FISH FROM WALMART IN ANY WAY!
And is it true betta females are too aggressive for guppies and platies?

Ok, for Christmas I'm asking for this 10 gallon kit:
Aquaculture Home Starter Kit - Walmart.com

I don't know much about Green Puffers, but I saw them at WalMart. Can I fit it in a 10 gallon with it "thriving" with a platy, 2 guppies, and 1 female betta???? If not, would a dwarf puffer work????
BY THE WAY: I AM NOT GOING TO PURCHASE THE FISH FROM WALMART IN ANY WAY!
And is it true betta females are too aggressive for guppies and platies?

Are you talking about a green spotted puffer? Those need much larger tanks, like 30+ gallons. Also they would need brackish water. Dwarf puffers are appropriate for FW ten gallons but they need a species tank as they're very aggressive.

Bettas are hit and miss with personalities. Regardless though I wouldn't attempt one in a ten gal with guppies.

Green spotted puffers won't work for a few reasons. They need at least 30 gallons, they will kill any tankmates, and they need brackish water and eventually salt water as adults. A dwarf puffer would work in a 10, and are truly freshwater fish, but they should have a species only tank.

As far as bettas mixing with livebearers, I've had guppies with female bettas with no problems before, although the fry were all betta snacks if I didn't move them to a fry tank quick enough. Right now I have some platy fry in a breeder net until they get big enough to go into my sorority tank. They managed to escape once, and none got eaten but the bettas sure were trying. I don't think the bettas will give them much trouble when they are grown though. I have neon tetras and bristlenose plecos in the sorority tank and my ladies never bother them.
In a 10 gallon, a betta might get a little more territorial than they do in my tank, though. My sorority is in a 56 gallon.

Ok, well thanks guys! No puffers, which makes me sad, but I will chance the betta, as I will upgrade my platy and betta, they really need to get out of the 1 gallon (platy) and 1/2 gallon (betta) ASAP!!!!

Back
Top Bottom