Green spotted puffer care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moncrief2315

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi so my wife recently brought home three green spotted puffers. All about under 2 inches so I have them in fresh water right now. But I know eventually they will have to go into full salt water. I have a 50 gallon bow front freshwater right now and was wondering how to slowly change it to saltwater. Like what do I need to start buying. Can I use the same filter? I’ve had freshwater since I was a kid but this is going to be my first saltwater. Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks IMG_0088.jpg

You cant slowly change it to SW. They don't thrive on the same bacteria. The SW tank will need to be started from scratch and properly cycled. Im wondering if this puffer is a brackish water fish. If that is the case you probably could change your FW tank to that but not a full blown SW tank.

You cant slowly change it to SW. They don't thrive on the same bacteria. The SW tank will need to be started from scratch and properly cycled. Im wondering if this puffer is a brackish water fish. If that is the case you probably could change your FW tank to that but not a full blown SW tank.

I was told that there born in Fw then move to brackish water then finally to the ocean. Sw. what do I need to start buying slowly over time to get ready to change the 50 gallon fw to sw. the fish that are in there now will be moving to a 120 so I can start this tank from scratch for her puffers. I really wish she would asked before she brought them home. Lol oh well

You need to match the water parameters of the tank from which they came. They are a foraging, river fish for the most part so they're pretty adaptable to varying salinity. Best to keep them where they're at when you get them and gradually move towards an specific gravity of 1.01. You will need to cycle a tank at this salinity. The marine salt will kill your fw bacteria.

You need to match the water parameters of the tank from which they came. They are a foraging, river fish for the most part so they're pretty adaptable to varying salinity. Best to keep them where they're at when you get them and gradually move towards an specific gravity of 1.01. You will need to cycle a tank at this salinity. The marine salt will kill your fw bacteria.

I pretty sure they came from a Fw tank so do a fishless cycle at 1.01 salinity? Just add marine salt until 1.01. Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get it right. Thanks.

If they're freshwater now than gradually bring them up to 1.01. Small increments. Every water change up it 10%

Back
Top Bottom