Growing Algae for my pleco doesn't work either...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wndrfl-Creation

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small pleco in with Electric Yellows. The problem I'm having is feeding the pleco, whenever I put my algae tablets in there, the Yellow drives off the pleco and munches on it for himself. I have tried growing algae in a glass in the window sill, then putting that in the tank, but the pleco isn't smart enough to swim inside the glass to eat it and the Yellow goes in there and it's the algae too. I even built a low level cave that only the pleco could fit in, then put the tablet in the middle of it, but the Yellows stir it up after it softens, then munch the loose particles. I am going to try building a longer, thicker cave for this though, I'll let you know how it goes. Anybody got any idears on this? I'd like to hear your techniques for fixing this.
Custom made Lava Rock Caves n' Structures

Have you tried splitting up the tablets and feeding in different spots in the tank? You can also feed veggies to your pleco. Thaw out some peas, shell, split, and toss them in. Fresh zucchini, cucumber, and brocoli stalks work well too.

My favourite pleco food is a leaf of romaine lettuce weighted down. It will keep in the water for several days with no mess , like you get with zuccini and foods of that nature. The leaf stays alive while it is consumed.

i put a big hunk of zuchini in there and with all the fish nibbling at it, its gone in about a day, but the pleco gets his share.

Two points on this,

Most plecos are more active at night, try feeding at lights out, or just before.

Also, not all plecos eat algae, especially as they grow older.

I am a big fan of Zukes for plecs though.

Back
Top Bottom