GSP tank setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 29 gallon FW tank set up with only a few guppies in it. Its been up and running for awhile now, and I feel that I wanted to move these few guppys to another smaller tank I have, and take a plunge into converting this tank into a brackish tank for a Green spotted puffer. I bought a Fluval 205 canister filter, hydrometer, instant ocean sea salt for now. What else would I need? How should I go about doing this FW to BW conversion? My current substrate is sand. Should I change this? I have currently a HOB filter, airstone etc. I was thinking of running the new canister filter with the current FW tank for it to get all the beneficial bacteria, then slowly raise the salinity so it won't kill off all the bacteria? Or is this not correct? I know the puffer will need snails etc, and I have a small tank I can use for housing them.

Increase the salt levels slowly. Use instant ocean salt. Gsp need a salinity of 1.008 as juveniles. When they are sub adult I'd run it at 1.014-1.018. As adults they will go to marine. Tho they can stay in 1.015. Increase the salinity .001 per week. Mix the salt during pwc. Do not add it directly to the tank itself. Add it to the water ur going to add. Maybe someone else has a little more info. This is just my 2 cents. I have kept GPS but its been a while

keep the sand. My GPS loved curling up in a ball and laying on the sand. Was cute. He would also curl up in my plants lol

should I add the salt before or after getting the gsp? also, how much pwc should I do? do I measure the salinity in the tank after the pwc or the bucket containing the water mixture? thanks.

should I add the salt before or after getting the gsp? also, how much pwc should I do? do I measure the salinity in the tank after the pwc or the bucket containing the water mixture? thanks.

If he comes from pure freshwater then that would be good. If not then ask what salinity the tank he is in when u buy him. 10% pwc. Puffers are kinda dirty. So maybe even 25%. U match the salinity in the tank with the bucket. Say ur salinity is at 1.008. Your bucket will be 1.008. Salt doesn't evaporate. So when your topping off use freshwater no salt.

I actually set up my tank to full marine with LR. I plan on it being a FOWLR tank and was thinking once it cycles, can I acclimate the gsp to full marine?

I actually set up my tank to full marine with LR. I plan on it being a FOWLR tank and was thinking once it cycles, can I acclimate the gsp to full marine?

I think it depends on their age. I know adults can go full marine. Idk about juveniles. If u did then u would have to do a long dip acclimation. Maybe someone else will have an answer.

it all depends on the maturity of the puffer. When young, you can put it in freshwater and then slowly acclimate it to brackish and finally to saltwater when reaching full maturity. so you need to use best judgement when deciding the maturity of the puffer. For your reference, 6 inches is the normal adult size and 7 inches for maximum size. Any size less than 6 should be brackish. I hope this help

Back
Top Bottom