Guess better late then never. Intro /questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I had an aquarium awhile ago and I just now started up my hobby again. Ironically it started as a birthday gift for my girlfriend. Got her a nice 10gallon starter tank with the whole nine yards, let her pick out everything she could possibly want, well enough about her my turn.

I was searching craigslist and found a beautiful 45g tank with filter gravel and heater and some decorations.

My setup:

Aqua Clear 110 model,
Typical Fluorescent Light
And a heater,
Some lava rocks, live plants, and some sea shells.

Tank has been set up for about 2 months now and has had fish in it for about.. a month or so. Luckily she had the fish tank setup right before i got it and asked her to keep the gravel and filters wet to keep the bacteria alive.

I setup the tank and well and behold about 3 days later the tank was fully cycled and the levels were balanced and perfectly clear. Just to be safe I waited another day or two to get some starter fish.

Fish fish I got were 4 beautiful neon tetra, beautiful little buggers I wanted more but I did not know what else I would be putting in there yet so I kept it at that. I let them sit in there for a couple days made sure the levels where not completely going wacky before i got more.

Next I added to the tank, was two ghost catfish, and two mollies, and an ghost shrimp ( love these guys I want to get more). Tank still stable waited another week or so to add some more. (prolly should of waited longer).

Two weeks passed and I decided to fall in love with gourami. Beautiful fish, so went to the fish store and pick up a male and female in 3 different colors. Pearl, blue and I forget the other color, kind of an orangish. They went well in the tank, (sadly now one died from what I think was Dropsy but moving on). And I think that is all I have right now, Oh and a swordfin and a mystery snail and clown loach (recent).

I dont think I overpopulated my tank, that is my first question. I know the general rule for fish is 1gallion per inch of fish. And adding up the inches (yes i have that much free time) right now I am only around.. 30ish, and most of the fish are fully grown besides 2-3.

Question number two: I have an aqua clear 110 series filter which says For aquariums up to 100 gallons167-500 gph. Is that two much? Can you ever have a filter to big for your aquarium. It does not seem to create a big current, and the fish dont seem to mind it. Also in the filter I have, sponge, Biomax and Carbon. I have an insert which replaces the carbon with ammonia remover, but I was told carbon is good unless my ammonia levels spike.

I also have aquarium salt in the water. Was told it helps the fish and helps fight sicknesses.

I recently added some plants to my tank which I love! I need to get more, or wait for them to grow but I love them. I also heard they can be beneficial to fish.

I was wondering if there was anything else I could do/feed, OH FEEDING! I feed them TetraFin Goldfish Flakes, i just fealized it said goldfish on it :( is that bad?? and Omega One Natural Protein forumula, which says super veggie small pellets (kelp pellets) for all algae grazers. But when I put them in there my fish LOVE to eat it.

Thanks for your responses and reading :) I cant wait to join this community.

No need to use salt all the time, they will build up an immunity to it.

Plants are good, as they help keep the ammonia and nitrite down I believe.

I run double filters on my 75G, rated for more than the tank. I run one rated for 20G's on my 10G, etc., so I believe it's better to have one that is rated for more than you have. Carbon only lasts about 2 weeks, and the only reason people really use it is to take meds out. And you only need to change your filter media out if it's falling apart, just swish it in old tank water once a week or so.

I think you got 3 male gouramis, since the females are usually only greyish. (Dwarf gourami's that is).

Don't follow the one inch per gallon rule, just go with that your boilogical filter can handle. For example, one goldfish needs at least 15G's to itself, and you wouldn't put an 18 inch fish in an 18G tank right?

I would just get some tropical fish flakes, and toss the goldfish ones. I think the goldie ones are mostly veggies anyway. I feed my gourami and the other fish in the tank frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis/spirulina/brine shrimp, algae wafers and Hikari micro pellets.

Welcome to AA! :D

Thanks, the person i talked to was telling me that the males have a rounded top fin and the females have a sharper one, or the other way around.

Actually all 3 :p I got a pair of each :p, except they called the one blue not cobalt.

Possibly 4-5 inches I think, they are beautiful, I have a big male which is beautiful, wish i had a camera to take a picture.

Well I wish you had a camera too! LOL! I have a soft spot for gouramis...I only have one left out of 4, but he is SOOOO funny! He squirts water at me and jumps at my hand. :D

They are amazing fish, very amazing, they are not dwarf gaurmai though, I know that. Because they do not look like them. They are so amazing, I love my pearl.

At least I dont think they are dwarf, I just know they look beautiful in the light :p

Back
Top Bottom