Guess what! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my friend's dad has this 200 gallon fish tank he isn't using... And he said we could have it!!! So now (of course) I am SUPER excited! My dad is still trying to figure out if we can fit it anywhere.LOL. It's MTS like crazy over here... So anyway... Does anyone have any stocking ideas? I kinda want to do something bigger (I don't know what my dad wants yet) like cichlids or angels. We already have a 130 gallon tank with tetras mollies and other small fish like that (although there are a few big ones, like 2 clown loaches and a Pleco) Definitely gonna be a freshwater tank. If you know of any bigger, cool looking fish, please let me know! :)
Melanie

Arowana, oscars, loaches, discus, piranhas, almost anything really. I would go with piranhas.

Arowana, oscars, loaches, discus, piranhas, almost anything really. I would go with piranhas.

Haha! That's awesome! I've never thought very seriously about having piranhas before... Do you know how big they get, (red bellied piranhas I guess) or how big the bioload is? Just so I can get an idea of how many I could get :)

Not sure, never really looked too far into it because I dont have a tank big enough but after seeing some for sale I thought it would be cool. I have seen videos on youtube of them eating mice. Pretty cool haha.

Not sure, never really looked too far into it because I dont have a tank big enough but after seeing some for sale I thought it would be cool. I have seen videos on youtube of them eating mice. Pretty cool haha.

Ew... But cool at the same time I guess. Lol... I'll google it tomorrow. :) how big is your tank? How big do you think "big enough" is? :)

Hello, and good luck on this great acquisition!
I have a 300 gallon aquarium witch I was thinking of stocking also, and a 125 gallon. You can stock quite some things in there. I would not get pirhana's as they are schooling fish and will restrict you're choice mainly due to aggression. I would personally get clown knife fish, any knife fish, arowana's(expensive if it's the asian type, could go up to 500$), eels, oscars, sharks, catfish, gar, bichir, tilapia...
I would personally go with oscars, clown knives and arowana's. Mainly because they are good predators, and can co-exist. A clown knife fish is quite impressive and similar to an arowana. The CKF is not territorial, nor aggressive, but will try to swallow anything that can fit in his mouth. The oscar is territorial but only to fish that invade his territory or that are also territorial. This will most likely not be a problem for the ckf and arowana as they are not as territorial as him. The biggest problem would be the oscars together, but as this tank is big enough, you could easily house 2-4 oscars, 1-2 arowanas(I would stick to one) and 1 clown knife. You can also do some research on the fish I told you about just before and look at them if any interest you:)

Hello, and good luck on this great acquisition!
I have a 300 gallon aquarium witch I was thinking of stocking also, and a 125 gallon. You can stock quite some things in there. I would not get pirhana's as they are schooling fish and will restrict you're choice mainly due to aggression. I would personally get clown knife fish, any knife fish, arowana's(expensive if it's the asian type, could go up to 500$), eels, oscars, sharks, catfish, gar, bichir, tilapia...
I would personally go with oscars, clown knives and arowana's. Mainly because they are good predators, and can co-exist. A clown knife fish is quite impressive and similar to an arowana. The CKF is not territorial, nor aggressive, but will try to swallow anything that can fit in his mouth. The oscar is territorial but only to fish that invade his territory or that are also territorial. This will most likely not be a problem for the ckf and arowana as they are not as territorial as him. The biggest problem would be the oscars together, but as this tank is big enough, you could easily house 2-4 oscars, 1-2 arowanas(I would stick to one) and 1 clown knife. You can also do some research on the fish I told you about just before and look at them if any interest you:)

Ok thanks :) I'll look them up

my dream tank would be a african cichlid malawi mbuna tank 300 gallon. a couple hundred pounds of rock 3D background and a bunch of cichlids you could have so much color and they have personalities plus they will breed like crazy with the amount of numbers of fish you could have

my dream tank would definitely have a black ghost knife in it. Possibly a flowerhorn or oscar too, depending on if they could get along with the Black ghost knife. I'd also get a hypostomus luteus (a pleco i'm not sure of the common name for)

my dream tank would be a african cichlid malawi mbuna tank 300 gallon. a couple hundred pounds of rock 3D background and a bunch of cichlids you could have so much color and they have personalities plus they will breed like crazy with the amount of numbers of fish you could have

Do cichlids eat their eggs though? Will they actually protect them?

Lucky you! I would either do a large predator tank like what has been suggested, with an Oscar and arowana and maybe a knife fish, or an Amazon biotope tank with angels, neons, plecos, and other tetras. Or discus.

Back
Top Bottom