Guppies, hardy or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are guppies hardy or not? I'm waiting for my tank to cycle and I am just so anxious to get some! Towards the end of my cycle, will it be safe for them in a 37 gallon? Or is it just better to wait?

honestly if you've come this far with the fishless cycle it's prob best to just wait. lol. Guppies are pretty hardy and often used to "jump start" a fish in cycle though to answer your question.

You should get your hands on some seeded media, it will surely speed up your cycle.

Reactions: HN1
I agree on the waiting bit. Guppies can be hardy or sensitive depending on what stock they come from. I have one LFS that has guppies that get stressed and die fairly easily (fin nips, temperature changes more than a couple degrees, etc), and another LFS that the guppies are pretty bullet proof (one of them survived a pissy flagfish biting off half his tail, compared to one from the other LFS that died after a small nip). It really depends on the lines they come from.

Back
Top Bottom