Guppies-Trying to Breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaddysGirl14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a male and female guppie. I'm trying to get babies from them. I've never did it with fish before. Can someone help me? :p

They may try to eat the babies I would put plenty of stuff for the babies to get away from the parents

Guppies are pretty easy to breed just make sure you have at least 2 or 3 females for every male or the male will harass her to death. Other than that put lots of plants for the babies to hide when small or get a breeding net for the them.

Yes, I have plenty of things for the babies. And, a separate tank. The fish guy we bought them form informed me :p However, he didn't say anything about 2 or 3 females. He said if I want a baby get a male and female then I'd be guaranteed babies. :ermm:

Male guppies are very pushy when it comes to mating..if there is only one female she will get humped to death. In my opinion even having 2 females is still cutting it close and might not work. If I were you I would get the male two more play mates. They have babies about once a month if healthy and water is clean. Good luck:)

Also keep in mind that female guppies like many livebearers can store sperm. This means that they just need to breed once. After that they don't need a male to reproduce.

Also keep in mind that female guppies like many livebearers can store sperm. This means that they just need to breed once. After that they don't need a male to reproduce.

They can have up to 3 batches of babies before needing to mate again.

Back
Top Bottom