Guppy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
So one of the first fish we brought home was a guppy. I thought it was male because the colors were pretty wild.
Before I discovered this we bought two more male guppies. Well the first one started getting really fat and I got very suspicious. I looked it up and sure enough that first one has a rounded tail fin and was pregnant.

OK newb mistake.
Now I have 9 fry floating around and for some reason no one is eating them. they are starting to get to the size where they might not even be considered food by the other fish anymore.

As I can't have 9 more fish in my 20 gallon tank I wanted to separate the boys and girls as soon as I can tell which is which.

Anyone have an idea of how long it will be before I can sex these fry?

pairustwo.

When they get to be about 1/2" you should be able to tell what sex they are. You'll be able to tell before you have to worry about them mating. Sorry to tell you that even if you separate the female that gave birth from the male right now, she can still have more than one batch of fry. Livebearer's store sperm for several months sometimes. My female just gave birth and she hasn't had a male in the tank for 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom