Guppy Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caerus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there! I am in the process of cycling a 55 gallon tank "for my toddler for Christmas" (read: has turned into my new toy, but she just loves "fishies"). It has a Cascade canister filter for a 100 gallon tank that was on a really good sale. I was planning on putting in 6-7 cory cats, and then a bunch of guppies. I'm pretty much a beginner, have had a few tanks over the years, but largely not successfully due to lack of research and water changes. The tank is planted, I'd say light to moderately densely. I also have a planted 10 gallon tank too, though there are no specific plans for it. QT? Betta? Fry? I just figured it might come in handy.

I love how gorgeous male guppies look, but if they only live a couple of years, don't they get expensive to restock? On the other hand, I know they breed like... guppies, and can get out of hand pretty quickly if I mix males and females. I don't know how quickly this happens with a 55 gallon tank. To be frank, I remember my parents buying feeder guppies for us kids, and most of the babies they had just got eaten, so the tank didn't ever really get overwhelmed (or at least, didn't seem to by my inexperienced eyes). That sounds awful, and I'm probably going to get kicked out for even saying that. :p

What would you do if you wanted a tank of guppies, with minimal cost to restock? How many would you have? I don't want to overstock the tank, for sure! Thanks!

One last edit: I have not found a LFS here, unfortunately, in case that makes a difference. There is a really fun one to visit, but they only deal with saltwater fish. Couldn't compete with Petsmart for the freshwater ones, so big stores are pretty much my only option.

First, guppys will likely self regulate population in your tank as they do eat fry. I'd say stock some females and males. You could use the 10gal to move females ready to give birth to, removing her when the job is done. Give the fry 2-3 weeks and instant restock. Do that 2-3 times a year. In a 55 gal I'd start with 12-15 fish and maybe hold back 2 females in the 10 gal to get some fry. I'd also suggest you get some Cherry or similar type shrimp for both tanks. The corys won't really bother them as the shrimp will hide in the plants I'd say start with 10-15 i the big tank and 5 in the small tank.

As for where to purchase fish, I'd buy them from a breeder here in the classified section or on Aquabid. That way you will get quality guppys and they will be healthy as horses. I realize shipping is pricey, but replacing the fish several times or getting sick fish will cost more in the end. Sometimes you can get breeders to sell their color culls-non-perfect coloration fish at a huge discount. You will never know the difference. I know several good Aquabid breeders if you decide to go that route just P.M. me

Also, if you're breeding, you want to start with as much genetic diversity as possible. Any brick and mortar place gets their fish from a limited number of suppliers. I've had good experiences with aquabid for snails.

I have a 55 guppy tank so i have a lot to tell you!
conservatively, Female Guppies can easily have 20 fry every month and a half (or at least my guppies do).
for every male you have, it is suggested that you have 2 females. I think if you personally want to insure your females aren't being chased around /stressed too much a better ratio is 3-4 females though that increases the number of babies.
Though my recommendation is unless you know you can sell them 100% DO NOT MIX GENDERS.
Costs: no guppy of mine cost more than 4 dollars. I got mine from different locations some of which were big box stores. Males tend to be more expensive than females but that is because they tend to be more attractive. This is one of the cheapest fish you can find that offers such a variety of colors. Though i guess if you wanted a specific rare breed/type than you could order it and it would cost more money.

I had breeding within my first month of adding females. I got my males first (5; 4 fancy males, 1 cobra male) then i started adding females. In only did this after my males have safely established their dominance over one another. Guppies can be bullies to eachother! As soon as I added my females one of my males (the prettiest of course) died for no reason. then it was either his death or the addition of adding females or maybe a combination of the two, but suddenly all my males (two specifically) started getting very aggressive and rambunctious. Though it has leveled out.....it still isn't as peaceful as it was before the females and the death of the one male.

Do not depend on population control within your tank......guppies are called millionfish for a reason. they overproduce because of predators in the wild. if you can't sell them or seperate them....you will probably forced to cull them. I had to buy a 40 gallon to start separating all of mine.

If you must get guppies, I recommend only one gender. If you get males, get at least five and in every increment you get keep them in odd numbers (this is all stuff i have heard more than once in my research). This spreads out aggression amongst them.

I wouldn't worry about costs when it comes to guppies or their lifespans....if you are worried about that then there are cheaper hobbies out there.

In my 55 guppy tank I have kuhli loaches, cherry shrimp, mystery snails, corydoras, and one male betta.
I would keep the 10 gallon of yours as a quarantine tank because, speaking from experience, you do not want to add one sick fish that you could have medicated cheaper and safer in a small ten gallon then adding that sick fish to a 55 gallon and then having to treat and possibly losing all of your fish.

also make sure you have a heater and thermometer as well as water conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom