Guppy with beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can they live together also the 2 guppies are males and will they fight with the beta and 5 g hex

It's not that the guppies will fight the Betta, the Betta will most likely kill the guppies. The long colorful tails of the guppies confuse the Betta, and make him think it's another male of his species.

Also, I don't think that it would be good to put any tankmates with a Betta in that size of tank. I also think one Betta and two guppies would be overstocking.

A ten gallon would be much better for them. As for your situation, I agree with bettababe. It's too risky. I have kept male bettas with fish that DON'T look like bettas in my ten gallon, and all Is well (knock on driftwood) I wouldn't push it with the guppies. I wouldn't push it with anything but shrimp either though in that size tank.

Females you have a bit more flexibility... But that's only if you can upgrade to a ten gallon. If you do upgrade go with a female betta, and 4 guppies, since there's safety in numbers. Also, densely planting (or fake planting) the tank is essential if you want it to work. The guppies need to have hiding spots to get away from the betta if a fight dies break out.

Back
Top Bottom