Half way through?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JimmyA said:
Thanks, you're sweet. I used Ace Janatorial Strength Ammonia and a 4" active filter to get started. Now up to day 17, still not cycled yet.

You're right on track and things are going perfect. It took me 21 days to cycle my first time...and I had a bunch of seeded filter media I was using. I'm not very familiar with the active sponges like you have, but I'd actually be surprised if you were cycled already. It won't be long though. :)

Ok, I have been adding 10 drops of ammonia per day, now on day

I have been adding 10 drops of ammonia per day, recently, now on day 19. Here are my colors:

Attachments

• image-477581996.jpg
    image-477581996.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 85
JimmyA said:
I have been adding 10 drops of ammonia per day, recently, now on day 19. Here are my colors:

What does 10 drops equal in ppm? I would keep adding around 2ppm every day from now on and just let it keep going. It seems like the reduced ammo being added is definitely helping keep the nitrItes from always climbing too high. I don't think it will be long at all until you see the nitrItes start to drop on their own. As soon as that starts happening...you'll be almost done! Good job :)

What does 10 drops = in ppm? I have no idea.

To between .50 and 1 for the ammonia. It decreases by morning to close to 0.

JimmyA said:
To between .50 and 1 for the ammonia. It decreases by morning to close to 0.

Good. I'd go back to adding enough drops so you get a reading of around 2ppm after you add it.

We gave the bacteria a break for a few days to keep the nitrIte down...but now we want to make sure we keep it strong. Hopefully since you added less for a few days, the other type of bacteria got stronger and you won't have as much no2 every day.

Ok, I'll go up to 15 drops a day tomorrow and see how that goes for a few days.

Thanks,

JimmyA

JimmyA said:
Ok, I'll go up to 15 drops a day tomorrow and see how that goes for a few days.

Thanks,

JimmyA

Sounds good. I'm kinda recommending stuff a little different from my guide for you since you had such crazy nitrIte readings. You seem like a nice guy and I want to make sure we get your cycle done as fast and efficiently as we can :)

I decided to add 5 more drops tonight, waited 20 minutes and here are my colors:

Attachments

• image-4100398071.jpg
    image-4100398071.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 78
JimmyA said:
I decided to add 5 more drops tonight, waited 20 minutes and here are my colors:

Looks good. I can't tell the ammo level without a card, but don't be afraid to dose it up to 2ppm. Hopefully your no2 to no3 bacteria have grown and your nitrIte won't spike so high anymore. We'll see soon.

I have put in 20 drops today, that usually really ups my nitrites. I am at about 1 ppm ammonia now. I have never added 25 drops in a day but will try that tonight and see what happens and if it gets ammonia up to 2 ppm. Don't think I will add anymore than that tonight.

Is my tank cycled now? This is day 20. Attached are my colors this morning.

Attachments

• image-3621245810.jpg
    image-3621245810.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 74
I apologize, I did test again and got the following:

Attachments

• image-2172857265.jpg
    image-2172857265.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 77
One question, I have a tall Marineland 20 gallon tank and the lighting will not support plant growth. Is there some other top I can order that has lighting for plants?

Latest water parameters test after 50% water change:

Attachments

• image-1565509641.jpg
    image-1565509641.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 76
Water change this morning:

Attachments

• image-2983933668.jpg
    image-2983933668.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom