Half way through?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went 10 days until my nitrite spiked to 10 ppm. Did a complete water change. Added ammonia yesterday , now on day 12, ammonia at 3 ppm, nitrite at .50 ppm, nitrate at 5 ppm.

Had to do another 1/3 water change today.

Just keep getting rising nitrites and nitrates until I have to do a water change. Why do I have to keep doing water changes?

They keep going off the charts after the second water change!

Fishless. I read eco's method, but I am having to do more water changes than one.

Dont worry, your nitrites will drop almost overnight, and you'll fine. Just bear with it.

Ok, Eco says one water change in the middle, but I am having to do more than one as the nitrites and nitrites keep going real high after I change the water.

I have not measured them. Will have to do that tomorrow, but it is from the water softener side, not hard water.

You should test them. It sounds like you have something fishy going on in your tap water.

I am at 15 days. I changed all the tank water two days ago because the nitrite was 10 ppm. I redosed ammonia then and now ammonia is at 1 ppm, nitrite is at 3 ppm and nitrate is at 20 ppm. Tap water is negative for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Maybe I just need more time but I may end up doing many water changes if the nitrite rises again.

JimmyA said:
I am at 15 days. I changed all the tank water two days ago because the nitrite was 10 ppm. I redosed ammonia then and now ammonia is at 1 ppm, nitrite is at 3 ppm and nitrate is at 20 ppm. Tap water is negative for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Maybe I just need more time but I may end up doing many water changes if the nitrite rises again.

NitrIte and nitrAte rising is a very good thing. That's what we want to see. It's okay to do water changes if the levels get way too high, just remember to use dechlorinated same temperature water. You should be done soon :)

Thank you! I'll keep on keepin' on!

JimmyA

Just to mention, those nitrites go to at least 5 ppm within 24 hours of dosing ammonia to 4 ppm. Then I have to do another water change and redose ammonia. Is that normal?

JimmyA said:
Just to mention, those nitrites go to at least 5 ppm within 24 hours of dosing ammonia to 4 ppm. Then I have to do another water change and redose ammonia. Is that normal?

It sounds like you've got some super healthy bacteria in there that are really chewing through the ammonia..that's good news :). It just takes a little time for the other bacteria that turns the nitrItes into nitrAtes to catch up.

I just made a few updates and revisions to the guide in my signature. There aren't any major changes which should affect you...but you're welcome to check it out :)

Ok, thanks very much. I'll keep you informed on the progress!

JimmyA

Here are my colors tonight.

Attachments

• image-1945059271.jpg
    image-1945059271.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom