Hanging Filter suitable for this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Bubble00

Aquarium Advice Regular
My sister's betta tank seemed to be messy a little bit with some poops and food leftover on the wall and plants. Will a Hanging filter mess this substrate?
Its a soft silica sand btw.
20171101_164106.jpg

Not for that size of a tank, it'd be way too strong. Best bet would be a sponge filter that are powered by an air pump. What size tank is that? Bettas need 2.5 gallons minimum and it needs a heater too

My suggestion. Get the following:
5 or 10 gallon tank
Cover with light
Aquaclear 20 HOB filter
50 watt submersible heater

Yes or sand will be drawn into filter and wear and ruin the impeller...
Tank is pretty small so the sponge will help to slow the flow also.

Btw, can I use small socks instead of sponge?

Do you mean socks as in the poly cotton blend you wear under you shoes? That might clog too quickly. I would use panty hose instead.
Fluval makes a sponge for their internal filters. These fit over most HOB filter intakes.

I highly recommend the fluval sponges as stated above. I use the fluval sponges on all my shrimp tanks, just squeeze them out during each water change to avoid clogging.

Do you mean socks as in the poly cotton blend you wear under you shoes? That might clog too quickly. I would use panty hose instead.
Fluval makes a sponge for their internal filters. These fit over most HOB filter intakes.
I'm thinking that hanging filter is WAY too big even though the flow is low. How does sponge filter works? Do they need air pumps? How do they absorb fish poops and food leftovers in the tank?

Sponge filters run by air pump.
They are what most breeders use and what I have in many tanks. They are easily rinsed in tank water during a water change for maintenance.
They keep tanks pretty clean but if extra food or poop is about it is best vacuumed out anyways as even in the sponge it still becomes nitrates.
They draw water through the sponge to follow the bubbles up the lift tube moving water as fast as the bubbles make it ,so they are easy to adjust with an air valve..
This is the size I would use in your tank.
https://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-CAF-10-Internal-Sponge-Filter/dp/B00J9T3MMG
Many pet stores carry this exact one.

Back
Top Bottom