hard water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up a tank for my daughters and was wondering if I needed to take into consideration water hardness when picking out fish?

I knew that question was coming! They do make something I could buy to test it, right? It's hard enough that we have to be mindful of it when picking out dish detergent and get lots of buildup around the faucets etc.

I'd like to let my girls pick out the fish. When we were looking at fish they seemed interested in the neon tetras. But considering they're 2 & 5 that could change next time we go! But if it's something to be aware of I can def steer them in the right direction.

Well, rams like softer water, discus like softer water (but I doubt you are doing a discus tank:lol:) rummynose tetras like softer water and rainbowfish like softer water. Glofish and Zebra Danios can do well in hard water, so can many livebearers such as guppies, platys, mollies, and swordtails. Also, with the majority of tetras can adapt to harder water.

Then again, I've had a variety of sensitive tetras and Rams in hard water. At the end of the day, if everything else is well maintained, it usually doesn't matter that much.

hmm....ok. We'll look at some of the fish bud29 talked about and will definitely be on top of maintaining water quality. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom