Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hard water moderately high ph.

Hi, I've recently started a 65 gallon aquarium for a small tiger Oscar. My tap ph is about 7.9 - 8.0. I've been reading that higher ph makes the ammo more toxic during the cycle. I'm wondering at what point I should do a Pwc during a fish in cycle on my 65 gallon tank. Any suggestions? I did one tonight when my ammonia reading was 0.25 and nitrite 0. My only concern is that doing a Pwc will prevent the ammo from converting to nitrite. I've read that it can become dangerous at about 0.4 with a ph of 8. I am not using anything to adjust my ph. I've been reading the newbie tips. Thanks for all the advice on this forum. I have already learned so much. I really want my tiger to stay healthy.

Thanks.

P.s. any idea if aqua-pure ammonia filter pads are helpful during the cycle? My wife bought them but I'm afraid it will mess with the cycle. They are supposed to trap ammo in the the filter.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I forgot to mention that I'm also using Stability ( bb product).

Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, so you don't want to use those pads - go ahead and take them back to the store. all you need to add to your water is water conditioner - prime is highly reccommended on here. it will neutralize your ammonia for about 48 hours - same thing the pads would be doing. also, you don't need to add the stability. sometimes this can mess with your cycle (or so I have heard)

doing pwcs is what you have to do when you have fish in there and are cycling. just part of life. it will not really slow down your cycle. the most important thing is to get your fish through the cycle without harming them. if it take a few weeks more so be it.

you mentioned your tap PH at 8.0. what about your ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates. test your tap water and see what it is. this will help you in knowing what you are starting with.

post your results... we will help you through this!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks so much for the help. Here is my tap water. The ammo looks lighter than in the pic. I think it is closest to 0.25
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-293880252.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	79584  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also the nitrate level most closely matches 0ppm. It is a little darker than my chart but it is definitely yellow instead of orange.

Thanks again.

I guess my pwc did not help last night if my tap ammo is 0.25 as well.

I have been using Tetra AquaSafe to declorinate. I just ordered some prime and a python.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update on tank parameters tonight.
Amm: 0.25 - same as tap
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gah! I'm pretty sure he has ich. Darn petsmart. I've raised my heater temp to 85 and added a little aquarium salt. Should this work or should I use a treatment since my tank isn't cycled anyways?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does this look like ich? They are little white dots. The tank is not cycled. I read that the ammo is worse at higher temps. So I turned the heater back down to 78. I'm thinking maybe I should medicate since I just started this cycle. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3993397316.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	79912  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I havent had good luck battling ich. If they are little white dots like salt sprinkles then its is probably ich. If your plants and fish can tolerate it i would take the temp back up. I hear that ich cannot survive past 84deg and the appropriate dose of aquarium salt. I wouldn't worry about the cycle right now. If your fish die then whats the point. Also dont use any of the chemical treatments, they just stain your tank blue.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Keep up the water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrite down. You're doing well there.
Now, that is ich. What you need to do is:
Increase the temp slowly over a day up to 86-88F
Increase aeration (hotter the water the less oxygen)
Leave the temp up for at least a week AFTER the last spot is seen.
Gravel vac frequently to help remove the ich from the substrate.
Ich is common in newer cycling tanks from the stress the fish can have.
You can add salt but ich can be treated without. You want a dosage of 1 flat tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Dissolve it in some tank water and add it slowly over a day or so.
Medications are not needed.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard water, high ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com