hardy fish for cycling website

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know there is alot of talk and promotion on this site of fishless cycling and that's great for those who have way more patience than I apparently do. But for those who don't I'd like to share a great resource.

http://www.reefpros.com/articles/fishcyclefw.shtml

I just think it is important for people who are not going to do the fishless cycle to have guidance in picking out fish that really can successfully survive the cycling process. Plus it's so sad to hear about people putting feeder fish in their new tanks for cycling. There are many great fish available that can survive the cycle period if you know what you are doing and lots of them are fish worth keeping for their entire lifespan. So if you want to fishless cycle - great. If you don't - check out the website for a helpful list.

I'm sure a lot of hobbyists are aware of these "hardy" fish for use in cycling a tank. That would be a useful resource if it included the most important part of cycling and that is testing the water parameters. It doesn't matter how hardy the fish are if there still remains a lack of knowledge about the nitrogen cycle.

I've had the experience of doing both methods. Due to this lack of information, the first attempt killed several hardy fish due to lack of knowledge of the nitrogen cycle. The second attempt was successful because at that point I had the knowledge and purchased the test kits to monitor the levels and adjust them before they became toxic. I then tried the "fishless" cycle and found it to be extremely frustrating (watching a couple of shrimp decaying in a 75 gal tank is to be honest, an eyesore and embarassing when company came over). :evil: .

Most folks find this forum when they research sick or dying fish. It is usually within the first or second week of a new tank set up. If folks could get this information prior to setting up their tanks, a lot of unneccesary fish deaths would be the result.

pretty good list to help...but for the new people reading it....dont spend a lot of money on a fish to help cycle(my friend bought a jack dempsey cuz he heard they were good starter fish)....thats just for when its allll cycled and ready to enjoy...thanks talloulou

I would agree, as well as starting with hardy fish, start with cheap fish. Good point. Also do lots of water changes, I've read lots of web sites that say dilution rids pollution. Good advice! Fish love fresh water like we love fresh air. Some will argue that water changes during the cycle slow the cycle down. Probably they are right and it will take longer for your water tests to come out ideal, with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-10 nitrates. However your fish with be healthier, less stressed, and way more apt to survive. JMO. And remember to stock a few fish at a time. Adding more each week till stocked.

Back
Top Bottom