Has anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caveman0777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was watching videos and I saw this thing called "Eco start" it supposedly adds good bacteria to the aquarium and was wondering if anyone heard of it and is it a good replacement for cycling... Oh and what chemicals do I need?

I've never used any of these products before but my basic understanding is that it doesn't really replace the cycling process, it just helps it a long. You add this product and usually do it for a few days and then add fish. It seems like the reality is you are in the end just doing a fish in cycle because the cycle doesn't actually start until you add an ammonia source.
Though it's one of those things people will fight over. Some swear by it and others claim it's useless.
Personally I'd save my money and try to purchase some seeded media instead. At least you know for sure this will work.

By chemicals what do you mean? If you are cycling fishless then you just need a liquid test kit and ammonia. If you mean once you have fish.. really I think a good water conditioner like Prime.

When I set up my tank, I tried the fishless cycling method: adding ammonia to an empty tank to build a culture of bacteria before the fish move in. It took about 2 weeks to get to the point where I could add ammonia and have it disappear overnight with only a rise in Nitrates. When I populated the tank there was no ammonia or nitrites spike, so I'd thoroughly recommend it over the 'one hardy fish' method of starting off a tank.

Here's a link that explains it in detail:

Fishkeeping - Fishless Tank Cycling and Avoiding New Tank Syndrome - General Guides - Articles

Back
Top Bottom