has my cycle stalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am an absolute beginner, so I know I coulld be completely wrong, but I thought that as my ammonia levels were going down from 4ppm to 2ppm, but not to zero, I should have nitrite as well as nitrate. I have ammonia at 2ppm, nitrite at zero and nitrate at 10ppm today.

From your chart, nitrites were still high on the 17th. I suspect that nitrites are very high and they might be so high that they look like they're reading 0 on the chart when they're actually too high for the test to read. If this is true, it could be the cause of the stall.

I'd do a 100% water change (don't forget dechlorinator) and then wait an hour or so. Test everything again. When you do the nitrite test, watch the vial as you put the drops in---see if the water changes color at all (does it change to gray, lavender, purple, etc) as you put in the drops. Watch the tube closely for any odd color changes and note them. Then take the 5 minute reading as usual. Let us know the results of this and we can go from there.

From your chart, nitrites were still high on the 17th. I suspect that nitrites are very high and they might be so high that they look like they're reading 0 on the chart when they're actually too high for the test to read. If this is true, it could be the cause of the stall.

I'd do a 100% water change (don't forget dechlorinator) and then wait an hour or so. Test everything again. When you do the nitrite test, watch the vial as you put the drops in---see if the water changes color at all (does it change to gray, lavender, purple, etc) as you put in the drops. Watch the tube closely for any odd color changes and note them. Then take the 5 minute reading as usual. Let us know the results of this and we can go from there.

+1
I agree as well that its possible your nitrites are actually beyond what the test can read because you are seeing some nitrates. Due to have some ammonia in your tap water, I suspect your water authority uses chloramines rather than chlorine. When you do your big wc, double dose your conditioner to your tank size before refilling your tank. Wait @10minutes before you turn your filters back on so the conditioner is distributed through out your tank. Let us know what the numbers in your tank read when you retest after the wc, paying close attention to the nitrite test and we can go from there. :)

Thanks library girl and jlk. Decided to test water again before I did the water change that you both advised and I have a reading today for nitrite, it is only .25ppm but at least it is something. Todays readings are ammonia = 2ppm, nitrite = .25ppm and nitrate = 10ppm. Didn't do the PH as one of the test tubes has broken and I didn't think it was too important at this stage if I'm going to do a water change. Do you think I should I still do the water change now that nitrites are showing a little or should I just add a little ammonia and wait? If you think I should leave the water change for now, do you think I should add more dechlorinator to existing water. Thanks again for all your help!

I would do the water change anyway and double-dose the conditioner as JLK said; it can't hurt anything and it might help.

OK, I did large water change, about 90-95% as I couldn't get the last inch or so of water out with out disturbing the gravel and substrate. Added double dose of water conditioner, waited ten minutes before putting filter on and waited an hour before testing.
ammonia = 0.5ppm, nitrite =0 and nitrate = 0. I haven't done anything else for now, awaiting your advice.

Forgot to say in my last post, I watched the vial as I put the drops in to test the nitrite but it didn't go grey, lavender etc. It went pale blue, matching the colour for zero almost immediately and was still pale blue after five minutes.

Ok good. If you have some flake fish food, grind up a flake into a fine powder and sprinkle some into the tank (if you don't have it, don't worry about it). Dose ammonia to 2 for today (if you get to it, if not tomorrow is fine) and keep us posted over the next few days---hopefully we'll get some conversion going again.

Reactions: jlk
OK, I did as you advised and added a little fish food on 27th Jan, I also added ammonia up to 4ppm before I realised you had said only to dose to 2ppm. Next day (28th) readings were ammonia = 3ppm, nitrite was light lavender, lower than .25 but not zero, nitrate showing slight reading, lower than 5ppm but not zero.
Today,(29th) ammonia = 2ppm, nitire = .25ppm, nitrate = 5ppm. Should I add more ammonia or do you think I should leave it for now? Again thanks for all your help!

With your ammonia still at 2, I would just leave things be for now and see how they progress. I would add another pinch or two of crushed fish food though. Its not for ammonia but to add phosphates. Keep us posted! :)

OK, did nothing yesterday except added small pinch of ground up fish food.
Readings today are: ammonia= 1ppm, nitrite = 2ppm, nitrate = 5ppm and ph = 6.6
I have also noticed what looks like mould on some of the surfaces, particularly on the airstone that is providing the co2.

OK I didn't add anything yesterday.
Readings today are - ammonia = 0.5ppm, nitrite = 5ppm, nitrate = 30ppm and PH = 6.6
I didn't want to leave it any longer in case ammonia went down to zero, as I'm not sure if this would be good or bad for the cycle so I dosed ammonia back up to 2ppm.
Should I be concerned about the PH levels, are they too low?

Your nitrates are increasing & your amm is dropping- this is good!!! But your ph is getting into a low range. What does it normally sit at for your tank?

I think added a small amount sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda) is a simple and easy fix for the falling pH. You want to added enough to bring up the KH & that will raise the pH & keep it in cheek.

I measured my KH and it is at 6°d. Should I still add sodium bicarbonate, will it help raise the PH?
I measured the tap water and the ph is 7.2 straight out of the tap and it is at 7 after the water has been left to sit for a few hours. The ph has been at 6.6 since I did the large water change 4 days ago and dosed with double the amount of conditioner as advised.

I will add very little1/8th of a teaspoon and wait an hr and test.

I added a little sodium bicarbonate last night and brought my ph up to 7.2
Readings today are - ammonia = 1ppm, nitrite off the chart, nitrate = 30/40ppm, ph = 7

Remember that every time you do a PWC you need to add the same amount to keep it at the reading to be stable through your cycle

Readings today are- ammonia = 0.25ppm, nitrite = 0.25ppm, nitrate = 40ppm and PH = 7.6
I dosed ammonia back up to 2ppm
Looking good I think!!

Back
Top Bottom