Have my oranda goldfish grown too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalesho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fifty five gallon tank with two Oranda Goldfish. Their names are Oscar who is brown, and Homer who is orange. I have had them for almost a month. Everything in my tank is checking out very well. I know this sounds silly but they have grown about an inch and half to two inches since I have had them. Oscar is grown more than Gomer. They look healthy, and are very active. I just don't know if growing this fast is bad for them, and if it is what do I do? I give them vegetation on a daily basis, goldfish pellets three times a day, and frozen blood worms every other day. I vacuum their rocks out every other day, to remove any debris in it. I also do a thirty percent water change once a week. The water levels are checking out great. I just don't want them to grow to fast that they become unhealthy, or is this normal... I am lost. lol. Any advice if they are growing too fast, or if it's normal would be appreciated. Oh and their wens are growing as well, when I first got them they where barely noticeable but now you can see them. They are not huge wens by any means, but at least you can see them from across the room.:fish1:

Normal for juvenile goldfish to grow an inch+ a month until reaching sexual maturity. Once they do, they will continue to grow but way more slowly. Great job feeding them and giving them a proper home!!! :)

How do I know when they have reached maturity? Is it by the way they don't grow as fast? Also Gomer, gold, is so fat, while Oscar, brown, is slimmer but bigger in length. Should I worry that Gomer is fat?:huh:

You may have a male & female but only time will tell. Males are usually slimmer & more streamline while females are rounder & appear lopsided when viewed from above. The most telltale sign of sexual maturity will be in the males- they develop breeding tubercles on their hill plates and/or pectoral fins. They look like like white bumps/bubbles. Their vents will also be different. Males will be concave while females are convex/or protruding. Hope this helps!

Thank you again! I appreciate it... I sure enjoy the orandas so thank you. They follow me when I walk by the tank, and will stay where I am, I think they are hoping to be fed. lol I get a lot of laughs out of there characters!

Back
Top Bottom