Having to do a fish-in cycle, need a little help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Batt4Christ said:
I guess I am on a "bash (store)" mission today- considering there are lfs that engage in this as well...

Bu how many times have I been to (store) and witnessed people with a shopping cart that included a tank kit in a box, and a handful of fish bags with too many fish for the tank they were buying? Too many times!

That they would sell a tank and suggest fish in the same visit is insane. To then sell them a bio-load car beyond that tank's capacity even if fully cycled is bordering on criminal.

Nothing like hearing a (store) Employee (or (store), or....) loading up a tank for someone, handing them a bottle of water conditioner and telling them too hook it all up, fill it up, pu a couple of drops in, then dump in all these pretty fishes and all will be fine....

Makes me want to slap someone!!!!

Its sad they do this. But thankfully I'm getting back on track. You can also look at it two ways:
1) they're out for money so they just sell you stuff, and its their fault for giving you the wrong information.
2) Its also your fault for not doing your homework about something you know nothing about.

I don't soley blame my LFS for me being in this situation. I should've researched first, since I didn't do my "homwork" and they, in general, do this the "wrong" way. That's how I ended up like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so my platy died:( I don't know why, maybe nitrItes? It tested 0.50ppm. It just kept sitting on the gravel and today it was in the same spot.. I imediatly did a 50% pwc, my nitrItes tested 0.00ppm after, will prime give me skewed test results?

Prime will not skew nitrite readings. 0.5 is not too high, but some sensitive fish cannot tolerate even 0.25.

However, you often see fish death days or even weeks after your ammonia or nitrite spike. When I cycled my first tank years ago, I let the ammonia went up to 3 or 4. Fish appeared just fine during the ammonia peaks but a week later showed up with ich & died.By then my levels were good. In hindsight, it was likely that the ammonia caused a gill burnout & the fish was weakened enough to succumb a week later.

Well, I got a little scared and ended up doing two 50% pwc's today. Not gonna hurt, and I'm overdosing prime some to help my fishies

00youknowit00 said:
Just tested again, the same thing. It seems strange to have that, shouldn't I be seeing something?

I assume you're using an API Master Kit? Make sure you're doing the no3 test correctly. Shake the #2 solution for a full 30 seconds and the entire test tube for a solid minute. Wait 5 minutes and record your results at that time.

eco23 said:
I assume you're using an API Master Kit? Make sure you're doing the no3 test correctly. Shake the #2 solution for a full 30 seconds and the entire test tube for a solid minute. Wait 5 minutes and record your results at that time.

Yes, API. And I'm positive im doing it right, even timing how long I'm shaking.

00youknowit00 said:
Yes, API. And I'm positive im doing it right, even timing how long I'm shaking.

If you've been doing pwc's like crazy (which is a good thing), I suppose it's perfectly plausible that you've kept the no3 level low enough where it is not really measurable on your API kit. The important thing is whether the ammo and no2 are staying at 0. If so...that's good news :)

eco23 said:
If you've been doing pwc's like crazy (which is a good thing), I suppose it's perfectly plausible that you've kept the no3 level low enough where it is not really measurable on your API kit. The important thing is whether the ammo and no2 are staying at 0. If so...that's good news :)

Well tomorrow morning ill test again, hoping for 0 ammo and trite, and a wee bit of trate!

00youknowit00 said:
Okay, seeing stuff again:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
NitrIte: 0.25ppm
NitrAte: 0.00-5.00ppm

You'll just need to wait it out and keep the bucket on standby at all times. The good news is it doesn't seem to be rising as fast. Remember that .25 or above = pwc time.

Ammo is constantly testing 0, trites are(were) at about 0.25ppm after no pwcs for maybe 2-3 days, just did a 50% pwc. Seems like I may be nearing the end? Waiting on trates to rise and trites to go to 0 still.

Ammo is constantly testing 0, trites are(were) at about 0.25ppm after no pwcs for maybe 2-3 days, just did a 50% pwc. Seems like I may be nearing the end? Waiting on trates to rise and trites to go to 0 still.

I think you're just about there :). Keep testing for while, if the ammo or no2 climb to around .25, time to knock out another pwc. I think another day or two and you'll see zeros across the board with only nitrAtes rising. That'll be the the end :dance:

eco23 said:
I think you're just about there :). Keep testing for while, if the ammo or no2 climb to around .25, time to knock out another pwc. I think another day or two and you'll see zeros across the board with only nitrAtes rising. That'll be the the end :dance:

Wooohooo! :D almost there! Then my mom can quit talking about how much I change the water, she doesn't understand that I HAVE to.

However, you often see fish death days or even weeks after your ammonia or nitrite spike. When I cycled my first tank years ago, I let the ammonia went up to 3 or 4. Fish appeared just fine during the ammonia peaks but a week later showed up with ich & died.By then my levels were good. In hindsight, it was likely that the ammonia caused a gill burnout & the fish was weakened enough to succumb a week later.

This is a little pearl of information. You often see advice on here about doing PWC's when your levels get too high (because its the right thing to do) but rarely do I see someone suggest an ammonia spike from the past when fish die *randomly. I bet a lot of us new people who lose fish *without a cause had an ammonia spike some days or a week prior and either didn't know, or just didn't connect it to the deaths because of the lapse in time.

BTW congrats on getting close to having the tank cycled!

Johny said:
This is a little pearl of information. You often see advice on here about doing PWC's when your levels get too high (because its the right thing to do) but rarely do I see someone suggest an ammonia spike from the past when fish die *randomly. I bet a lot of us new people who lose fish *without a cause had an ammonia spike some days or a week prior and either didn't know, or just didn't connect it to the deaths because of the lapse in time.

Exactly! After learning this it made a great deal of since, I had been gone for 10days, and probably had a spike. Thus its "mysterious" death is explained.

Johny said:
BTW congrats on getting close to having the tank cycled!

And thanks! Its awesome to see it coming to an end! My bucket is tired! Haha

Youknowit when you were gone for 10 days did any of your fish die or not? I didn't see that anywhere besides your last post about connecting a death to an ammonia spike. Your tank has cycled pretty quick compared to mine. I need to go check on it. Oh yeah and what is your stock right now?

Back
Top Bottom