Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt4Christ
I guess I am on a "bash (store)" mission today- considering there are lfs that engage in this as well...

Bu how many times have I been to (store) and witnessed people with a shopping cart that included a tank kit in a box, and a handful of fish bags with too many fish for the tank they were buying? Too many times!

That they would sell a tank and suggest fish in the same visit is insane. To then sell them a bio-load car beyond that tank's capacity even if fully cycled is bordering on criminal.

Nothing like hearing a (store) Employee (or (store), or....) loading up a tank for someone, handing them a bottle of water conditioner and telling them too hook it all up, fill it up, pu a couple of drops in, then dump in all these pretty fishes and all will be fine....

Makes me want to slap someone!!!!
Its sad they do this. But thankfully I'm getting back on track. You can also look at it two ways:
1) they're out for money so they just sell you stuff, and its their fault for giving you the wrong information.
2) Its also your fault for not doing your homework about something you know nothing about.

I don't soley blame my LFS for me being in this situation. I should've researched first, since I didn't do my "homwork" and they, in general, do this the "wrong" way. That's how I ended up like this.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, so my platy died I don't know why, maybe nitrItes? It tested 0.50ppm. It just kept sitting on the gravel and today it was in the same spot.. I imediatly did a 50% pwc, my nitrItes tested 0.00ppm after, will prime give me skewed test results?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Prime will not skew nitrite readings. 0.5 is not too high, but some sensitive fish cannot tolerate even 0.25.

However, you often see fish death days or even weeks after your ammonia or nitrite spike. When I cycled my first tank years ago, I let the ammonia went up to 3 or 4. Fish appeared just fine during the ammonia peaks but a week later showed up with ich & died.By then my levels were good. In hindsight, it was likely that the ammonia caused a gill burnout & the fish was weakened enough to succumb a week later.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I got a little scared and ended up doing two 50% pwc's today. Not gonna hurt, and I'm overdosing prime some to help my fishies
Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tests this morning:

Ammonia: 0.00ppm
NitrIte: 0.00ppm
NitrAte: 0.00ppm
Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just tested again, the same thing. It seems strange to have that, shouldn't I be seeing something?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00
Just tested again, the same thing. It seems strange to have that, shouldn't I be seeing something?
I assume you're using an API Master Kit? Make sure you're doing the no3 test correctly. Shake the #2 solution for a full 30 seconds and the entire test tube for a solid minute. Wait 5 minutes and record your results at that time.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

I assume you're using an API Master Kit? Make sure you're doing the no3 test correctly. Shake the #2 solution for a full 30 seconds and the entire test tube for a solid minute. Wait 5 minutes and record your results at that time.
Yes, API. And I'm positive im doing it right, even timing how long I'm shaking.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00

Yes, API. And I'm positive im doing it right, even timing how long I'm shaking.
If you've been doing pwc's like crazy (which is a good thing), I suppose it's perfectly plausible that you've kept the no3 level low enough where it is not really measurable on your API kit. The important thing is whether the ammo and no2 are staying at 0. If so...that's good news
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

If you've been doing pwc's like crazy (which is a good thing), I suppose it's perfectly plausible that you've kept the no3 level low enough where it is not really measurable on your API kit. The important thing is whether the ammo and no2 are staying at 0. If so...that's good news
Well tomorrow morning ill test again, hoping for 0 ammo and trite, and a wee bit of trate!

Tags
cycle, fish-in, fish-in cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com