Having to do a fish-in cycle, need a little help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FishDroid26 said:
Youknowit when you were gone for 10 days did any of your fish die or not? I didn't see that anywhere besides your last post about connecting a death to an ammonia spike. Your tank has cycled pretty quick compared to mine. I need to go check on it. Oh yeah and what is your stock right now?

Yeah, I went on a 10 day vacation, no deaths, I had my grandma feed them, but obviously not change water and such. And this thread doesn't go back all the way, I started it when nitrAtes Arrived.

Stocking:

1x Albino Rainbow Shark
1x Dalmation Lyretail Molly
1x Angelfish

Okay its been a week, here's an update:

Ammonia: 0.00ppm
NitrIte: 0.00ppm
NitrAte: 0.00ppm

Haven't seen ammonia in many many days, saw 0.25 trIte yesterday, did a 50% PWC, everything seems to be slowing to a stop. Still waiting for trAtes though.. I've added some live plants, 6 to be exact, could that be why I'm not seeing any? As of now there's an albino rainbow shark, BN pleco, and 20 RCS in the tank, so the bio load wouldn't be very big. Is it possible the plants are consuming the trAtes?

Yes I think it's possible (from what little knowledge I have, keep in mind), even probable, just keep an eye on it. Congrats on your fish!

It is very possible, the frequent water changes and lower bioload could keep them at unreadable levels as well.

If your plants are growing well, you might never see any nitrates. They are using the stuff up faster than your fish can produce it. <My nitrates routinely goes to zero if I don't add some.>

Just keep an eye on the levels while gradually decreasing the water changes (amount & frequency). If you still see no ammonia or nitrites with a weekly or biweekly pwc, you are prob. done cycling.

Well, tested this morning:

Ammonia: 0.00ppm
NitrIte: 0.00ppm
Nitrate: looks darker a little darker than 0.00ppm but not close to 5.00ppm

**edit** Also as of yesterday I'm dosing with Flourish, probably less than reccomended though.

Looks good so far, just keep an eye on it daily. I'm not familiar with the Flourish so maybe someone else can comment on that.

Well, i think I may be finally done, ammo and trites have leveled to 0.00ppm and trates are rising, not sure really how much, either 5-10-20, can't really tell the difference haha. Judt gonna how it goed the next few days, and see if trites raise any. Finally!! :D

Back
Top Bottom