Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool heater for 90 gallon tank

is there a certain brand of heater that I should go with for a 90 gallon tank?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to pitdogg2 Send a message via Yahoo to pitdogg2
your choice of brands as long as it is 250watts or 300watts depending on how much higher AQ temp is to your home temp. You could also put two 150watt heaters if you're worried about cooking your fish.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
your choice of brands as long as it is 250watts or 300watts depending on how much higher AQ temp is to your home temp. You could also put two 150watt heaters if you're worried about cooking your fish.
so a 300watt will be fine? it says 300w for 80 gallons and I will be doing a 90 gallon tank. ofcourse I understand I will not actually have 90 gallons of water in there. I live in a cold climate (Virginia) and my inside winter temp is around 68. this will be enough to keep them warm?
just don't want to get the wrong one and then have to buy another one
Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most heaters are pretty reliable. I have Eheim Jager 300w for a 120g, Aqueon Pro 100w for a 20g (at bro's house now), and Marineland Stealth 200w for 29g.

I also heard fluval makes good quality brands. Always read the reviews of the equipment that you're about to buy.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to pitdogg2 Send a message via Yahoo to pitdogg2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Most heaters are pretty reliable. I have Eheim Jager 300w for a 120g, Aqueon Pro 100w for a 20g (at bro's house now), and Marineland Stealth 200w for 29g.

I also heard fluval makes good quality brands. Always read the reviews of the equipment that you're about to buy.
you do realize that all but the lowest wattage STEALTH heaters have been recalled? They had some expolsive problems with the stealth pro heaters. Aquaeon bought the rights to make the original stealth heaters only they have a led light to tell they are on. Plus they hold temp better than the stealth's. I'm a big visi-therm fan have used them and ebo-jager for 40yrs but my big cichlids kept breaking the glass heaters that is why i went plastic.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I know about the recall. It doesn't really change my mind about marineland heaters. One recall doesn't ruin the quality of a heater.

Now if there was a long history of problems then I would be concerned.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
you do realize that all but the lowest wattage STEALTH heaters have been recalled? They had some expolsive problems with the stealth pro heaters. Aquaeon bought the rights to make the original stealth heaters only they have a led light to tell they are on. Plus they hold temp better than the stealth's. I'm a big visi-therm fan have used them and ebo-jager for 40yrs but my big cichlids kept breaking the glass heaters that is why i went plastic.
I ordered the visi-therm 300w for the 90 gallon. sounds like a good choice?

Tags
90 gallon, eat, eater, heater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com