Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
It kinda does matter, but pretty much any way will get the job done. Putting the heater low in the tank and horizontal does two things, it keeps from exposing/cracking the heater if you forget to unplug it during water change. I don't even unplug heaters during WC's. Also since heat rises it would be more beneficial to put it lower in the tank, but as long as the heater is big enough for the tank volume it'll heat the water however it's placed.
I agree with you, the whole putting the heater at the bottom. I'm thinking that you should have an ample heater that will move the water around, hence be saying it would not matter. This is just a thought

Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
It kinda does matter, but pretty much any way will get the job done. Putting the heater low in the tank and horizontal does two things, it keeps from exposing/cracking the heater if you forget to unplug it during water change. I don't even unplug heaters during WC's. Also since heat rises it would be more beneficial to put it lower in the tank, but as long as the heater is big enough for the tank volume it'll heat the water however it's placed.
I see where you are going, putting the heater at the bottom. I am just saying that it wouldn't matter because if you had ample water circulation, the heat would get everywhere in the tank. This is why you do not put your temp. gauge where your heater is at. Just a thought!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
+1 I've got mine horizontal under my hob on the bottom. And my digital thermometer at the end of my tank.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have my heaters centered on the back wall, horizontal, about 2 inches above substrate. I have my airstones placed beneath them so that the heat is caught in the flow of bubbles and distributed evenly throughout the tank.

Since we moved the heaters to this position, we have virtually rock solid temperatures with no fluctuations.

Our digital thermometers are placed on the extreme right side back wall of the tanks.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com